Re: [Mip4] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-mip4-multiple-tunnel-support-12: (with COMMENT)

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 11 June 2015 17:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:48:21 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Kathleen Moriarty <Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mip4-multiple-tunnel-support@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mip4-multiple-tunnel-support.shepherd@ietf.org, mip4-chairs@ietf.org, mip4@ietf.org, mccap@petoni.org, draft-ietf-mip4-multiple-tunnel-support.ad@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mip4] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-mip4-multiple-tunnel-support-12: (with COMMENT)

Hi Kathleen,

I think this is a good point. Indeed using multiple tunnels
simultaneously involves a form of distribution
of data through multiple tunnels and that by itself means that instead
of sniffing on a single link an attacker would need to sniff several
links to be safer to assume identity.

On another hand, there is still a possibility for the attacker to
correlate a number of Home Addresses, with a same number of Care-of
Addresses, associated with a single NAI, and intrude privacy. (because a
particular IP address is often valid only in a particular geographical
area).

As much as I find the privacy aspect interesting to consider from a
start, I must say that until now we have not discussed privacy aspects
of this MIP mechanism.  This is IPv4 space, and privacy discussion is
different than IPv6. (there is no MAC-based risk of correlation, there
is much NAT, law enforcement needs that IPv4 address, etc.)

Maybe we would need to agree quickly on some brief text, or keep it for
future work, especially in IPv6.

Alex