Re: [MIPSHOP-MIH-DT] DNS SRV records

Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com> Thu, 06 December 2007 07:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:02:52 -0800
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
To: Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [MIPSHOP-MIH-DT] DNS SRV records
Cc: mipshop-mih-dt@ietf.org

Gabor,

Sure you can use NAPTR records for the mobile node to figure out
the FQDN on which it needs to perform a DNS lookup. But it could
be as simple as the mobile node being configured with either
_mih._udp.example.com or _mih._tcp.example.com. Or perhaps
configured with both. The mobile node will do a DNS lookup on the
first FQDN and then the second one.

If there is no MIH server available in a particular network, the
mobile node won't get any response.

Note that NAPTR is not that widely implemented. So you might want
to make sure that DNS lookup for the MIH server can work without
using NAPTR.

Vijay