[MLS] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-mls-architecture-10: (with COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 02 February 2023 07:58 UTC

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mls-architecture@ietf.org, mls-chairs@ietf.org, mls@ietf.org, me@katriel.co.uk, cas.cremers@cs.ox.ac.uk, thyla.van.der@merwe.tech, jmillican@fb.com, raphael@wire.com, sean@sn3rd.com
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 23:58:11 -0800
Subject: [MLS] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-mls-architecture-10: (with COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mls-architecture-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mls-architecture/

COMMENT:

Thanks to Valery Smyslov for his two ARTART reviews.  I would encourage the
authors of this document to respond to the second one.

This is really well done and easy to read.  Nice work.  I have just a few
things to raise for your consideration beyond what others have said already.

The Abstract says:

"This document describes a general secure group messaging infrastructure and
its security goals."

...but it uses a number of terms that are defined in the MLS protocol document
(Proposal, Commit, etc.).  That means this document isn't as generic as this
text suggests.  This is not a blocker to publication -- the work is clearly
very thorough -- but this sentence sets the wrong expectations, I think.  It
really is more of a reader's guide or a companion specifically to the MLS
protocol document.

Section 2, and in particular 2.1, defines "clients", "groups", and "members",
but in a few spots it seems like they get crossed.  For instance, in Section 2:

* add one or more clients to an existing group;

That should be "members", not "clients", I think.

In Section 4.1:

"When a client wishes to establish a group or add clients to a group, ..."

Isn't it members that are part of groups, not clients?