Re: [MLS] Federation and MLS

Harry Halpin <harry.halpin@inria.fr> Tue, 26 March 2019 12:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:44:30 +0100
From: Harry Halpin <harry.halpin@inria.fr>
To: Benjamin Beurdouche <benjamin.beurdouche@inria.fr>
Cc: Leif Johansson <leifj@mnt.se>, Emad Omara <emadomara@google.com>, mls <mls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MLS] Federation and MLS

----- Mail original -----

Yes, that would work well, if we wish to tie this particular metadata to the cryptographic protocol.

Regardless, I think after the IETF meeting this week, if there is consensus on pursuing federation, then we could move this conversation to git issues. However, I thought it might be useful to get a 'barometer' of how people want to approach the issue, and I strongly side with minimalism.  I think for MLS keeping things not relevant to the cryptographic protocol, as Ehad put it, is definitely the right approach for the core architecture.

However, for MLS to be used/replace XMPP as a the IETF chatting environment of choice in an "open" setting, then we would need bindings to JSON (and even XMPP if needed). These documents could not be standards track and be outside of the Working Group, but would be useful for implementers, particularly if there ends up being test-suites.