Re: [mmox] MMOX: Strawman scope/goals/approach

Christian Scholz <cs@comlounge.net> Wed, 25 February 2009 15:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:34:33 +0100
From: Christian Scholz <cs@comlounge.net>
To: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
Cc: mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] MMOX: Strawman scope/goals/approach

Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity) wrote:
> cool. lemme put on my linden hat and throw out my US$0.02...
>
> in terms of identity, we have a strong preference for authenticating
> application to application. part of the reason we like this is we have a
> requirement that our HTTP traffic be able to flow over proxies (of both
> the SOCKSish variety and the squidish caching variety.) we are therefore
> paranoid that somewhere, somehow, transport layer authentication
> information would be "eaten" by a misconfigured or miscoded piece of
> required infrastructure. we understand that many people deploying VW
> applications may not have this requirement, but we kindly ask people to
> respect our requirements. but... just because we have defined an
> application-layer-endpoint to application-layer-endpoint authentication
> protocol does not mean we're going to try to ram it down everyone else's
> collective throats. OpenID, OAuth, PKIX client certs and even *shudder*
> gss-api all have a place in the world, and that place may include
> authenticating endpoints in virtual world interactions.

What do you mean by eaten? Are there proxies eating e.g. cookies or GET
parameters? E.g. OAuth after all is just some GET parameters or a header
field but you can choose.
I understand that you have lots of infrastructure in place which might
not be that easily compatible with it though. But this will be the case
for everybody for most protocols we develop.
But as said earlier, I would like to see the use cases being written
down first with the requirements if *all* participant and then we can
think about what the best solution might be (and we apparently need
criteria for that where one might be the change costs for vendors,
another interoperability outside the VW space).

> in terms of non-second-life-like systems... yes... some people may
> remember that Zero and I are both "smalltalk people" and have been
> working with squeak from the early days. i mention it only to
> contextualize the discussion with respect to croquet and some the
> related commercial ventures (like qwaq.) personally, i like croquet and
> have for a while. like any system it has it's benefits and its
> drawbacks, but more germane to this discussion, uses an interaction
> model that is slightly different than the one second life uses.
> however... there's a statement in the draft charter identifying the
> focus of this group as being "application layer wire protocols," and to
> the degree that this statement survives the WG formation process... i
> would hope we could define wire protocols that were independent enough
> of the interaction model to at least allow some reuse of the PDUs. if
> there was a way to make TObjects look like REST-like resources we might
> be able to go further and reuse some of the interaction model. (but i'm
> just offering it as a suggestion! i'm not saying croquet has to change
> to be more SL like before we'll play nice with you!) and who knows...
> maybe after detailed investigation of both system's interaction models,
> we could find a way to denote them both with the same representational
> system.

I think we all need more understanding of how the other systems work. I
know roughly how it's in SL but have no idea about Croquet or OLIVE or ...

> with respect to service discovery... the "SL mode" right now is to
> assume a list of services. ultimately this has got to change, and we
> know that. that was part of the motivation for the design behind
> OGP/Auth. At the end of authentication, the client is in possession of a
> capability (protocol endpoint) from which it may request other
> capabilities (protocol endpoints) that address resources which may be
> accessed to request various services. all of the services CS mentions
> below could easily be implementable with this technique. i've heard from
> some quarters that capabilities give some people the willies and
> honestly... they gave me the willies too until i drank the kool-aide and
> started using BREW a couple years back. i would point out, however, that
> they've been in constant use with SL for over 5 years now and they tend
> to work quite well for us. ultimately, however, there are likely going
> to be some people who won't want to use them and sure... that's fine...
> what this means to me vis a vis protocol definition is we should
> separate the acquisition of a service endpoint from the service it
> enables. and this might be was CS was talking about below.

As you know I don't really like caps ;-) I mostly do not like them
because they are very different from what you do on the web and they are
in fact somewhat more difficult to implement with a web framework (at
least if we assume how the SL infrastructure is, OpenSim does it a bit
differently). But that's probably detail and maybe there is even a way
to keep caps for you and maybe add some header field for more web affine
people. And I think if we still want to support the use case in which
e.g. some social network can act as an Agent Domain (or the equivalent
in some future MMOX protocol) then it's not very likely to assume that
they implement caps. They more likely have OAuth and XRD-based service
discovery in place.
But you are right: We should definitely separate the discovery of these
service endpoints from the services themselves and we shouldn't assume
any service (or specific version of it) to be there. This gives us more
flexibility and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

> or it might have been about service versioning that came up from time to
> time in the PyOGP list. fwiw... we tend to be "chunky" in our service
> deployment, meaning we prefer to not operate several versions of related
> services simultaneously, but i'm sure we can come up with a way to
> create a versioning system in MMOX, and i warn people up front that
> enabling such functionality would likely be a tough sell at linden, but
> we wouldn't stand in the way of other virtual worlds operators / client
> developers wanted to add it to a spec we claim we want to adhere to. but
> just keep in mind we're likely to either strongly request the feature
> was optional or use it in such a way that our grid always looks like it
> only has a single version of each service.

It also depends on how granular a service is. If they are relatively
small then it's easier to exchange them, if they are a huge thing which
do everything (like an AgentDomain in OGP) then it's hard.

> merging social networking sites and virtual worlds sounds like a win,
> but i wonder if it's not a better idea for the two to develop separately
> and allow protocols in each area to reference each other. for example,
> OpenSocial is, as i understand it, currently implemented as a set of
> web-apis. i really like the idea of an opensocial app being able to
> "reach into the virtual world" and i like the idea of our virtual world
> supporting things like existing OpenSocial apps... let's just not make
> it a REQUIRED part of the protocol anytime soon.

Well, you say that it's hard to get changes into your codebase. Would
this be any different if you really want to meet with the web at some
point? I would do it now because I don't really see a win in making our
own thing here. Web protocols might have problems and flaws in our scope
here but those communities are open for discussion and of course cannot
guess all possible use cases. e.g. the multi-service-authorization use
case for OAuth is such a case where right now it's not really well
working. I still think though that it can be made working by talking to
the OAuth folks and proposing some extension.
As for OpenSocial I don't speak about apps. All I am talking about is
the OpenSocial REST API where you can do a simple GET (guarded by OAuth)
to retrieve some persons profile. The OpenSocial Person schema might not
fit our needs but we can again do it as extension and/or start a
discussion on the OpenSocial list to make schemas more extensible
themselves.
We need to transfer profiles anyway and OpenSocial gives us REST and it
gives us some basic schema to build upon. It also enables the
possibility to e.g. import MySpace profiles today already.

But what is required or not is again not a discussion for now but for
sometime after use case definition and requirements capturing. Then we
can really say if it fits or not.

as a sidenote: I wrote down a workflow of an experiment I was coding 2
evenings ago which uses OpenID, OAuth and OpenSocial to import a
profile. You can find it here:
http://socialconnect.info/trac/wiki/WorkflowNumberOne

Code is following soon.

> so... to paraphrase... to the degree that linden can be the 800 lb.
> gorilla in a room where virtual worlds are being discussed and blizzard
> hasn't shown up... i promise to use my secret powers for good. the lab
> has no interest in scuttling anyone else's product roadmap but we ask
> that the more agile participants in this group give us a little slack
> with what we're able to implement and how fast. compared to the open sim
> peeps, we must seem like dinosaurs, and compared to tao, we're probably
> stromatolites. i just ask that peeps here please keep in mind we have an
> onerous repository of legacy code and a large installed base we can't
> abandon, so there's a reason we're moving slower than people might like.

I think protocol definition and implementation are two different things.
 Defining a protocol for VW interoperability is IMHO a very huge
undertaking because the problem domain is so huge and every participant
has their own flavour of what they want, need and can do in a reasonable
time for a reasonable budget.

So everybody needs time to implement changes and they might not be
small. And because of that I hope not that it means just because SL
might be slower in adapting we use more SL related technology just
because it makes it easier for LL.
I am not against using that technology if it makes sense but before that
I really want to know what the other vendors do, why they do it and
what's important to them.
That it already works well can probable be said about the technology of
every vendor participating.

My last point is about the huge problem space. Maybe it really makes
sense to first cut that into pieces. My pet peeve apparently is a
portable identity or in more general maybe data portability and I would
already be happy if I can login with my SL account in There, Kaneva and
so on without creating a new one. Also having my friends from elsewhere
being on my friendlist there automatically would be great. All this of
course under the premise that I can control who can see what data. Other
things like object transfer and making 3D representations compatible
might then come afterwards.

-- Christian

PS: I don't think you are stromatolites ;-) SL came a big way and helped
to make VWs popular. And what now is live deployed is probably all very
much grown and also based in a time where nobody talked about OAuth or
OpenSocial. And I know that changing such a system and keep it running
is a huge task in itself and also risky. So I understand your problems
and I also understand why it's easier for LL to just standardize OGP.