Re: [mmox] Cryengine 2 screenshots from Extropia

"Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com> Mon, 13 April 2009 17:17 UTC

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
To: William George <wjgeorge@dceo.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:18:52 -0700
Cc: mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] Cryengine 2 screenshots from Extropia

oooh.. john bates is gonna hate me for saying this... but...

fwiw... i think we're all (all of us who make virtual worlds) in an
era where photorealistic rendering is more or less cheap and readily
assessable. the thing i noticed when following john in world was that
virtually _all_ the plants looked identical. we sometimes get the same
effect in second life when you build an area with a limited number of
"stock" shapes / textures. in SL, there's a tradeoff between texture
load time and visual diversity. on one hand you could have every
virtual object have it's own shape / prim, and every prim have it's
own texture. this would enhance visual diversity. but it would
probably be dog slow to load and who knows... you might even make low-
end systems with not quite enough texture memory barf. on the other,
you could have a set of stock shapes / texture and reuse them. this
would load quicker, but it would be a challenge to make it visually
appealing. i don't know that it would be impossible, only that it
would be difficult. and... different people have a different idea for
what "visually appealing" means to them.

so... i finally saw a blue mars demo at GDC. it looked a bit less well
rendered than either entropia / cryengine or second life / windlight,
and ACK! the jerkiness! but... it definitely WAS visually diverse. my
ideal world would be the blue mars designers working on user generated
content for second life residents in a system rendered with either
windlight or cryengine enabled clients.

and if we do things right here... who knows... maybe something like
that would happen.