Subject: Re: [mmox] RealExtend Teleporting Between Worlds
From: Jon Watte <[email-masked]>
To: Christian Scholz <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:45:09 -0800
List-Id: Massively Multi-participant Online Games and Applications <mmox.ietf.org>

Christian Scholz wrote:
> I think requiring having some data in the client will not scale. Why 
> not give it an URL as well and just tell the client to cache it long 
> enough? Should be easy with a REST approach. For SL it might be trees 
> for a game it might in fact be everything if no 

I agree. In interop terms, it will say "the visual presentation of this 
object uses mesh http://www.whatever.com/some-url-here" and you can 
cache that just like you cache other web data.

> A specialized game client could even be so clever as to download it in 
> advance and have some proprietary way of checking whether it's still 
> uptodate or not.

HTTP already has a versioning mechanism. However, for a game with 50,000 
assets, doing 50,000 "HEAD" or "if-modified-since" requests might not 
scale so well ;-)

Sincerely,

jw