Re: [mmox] 3 Work Areas - 1 WG

Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> Wed, 01 April 2009 05:08 UTC

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Heiner Wolf <wolf.heiner@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:09:10 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mmox@ietf.org" <mmox@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mmox] 3 Work Areas - 1 WG

> A) authentication, teleport and switching region domains

This still looks ambitious

> B) remove simulation with server-server peering

This is interesting but requires some footwork to make sure
it can actually get deployed (assume you meant 'remote'
and not 'remove')

> C) avatar interop and import

This seems really hard, too, because of the different
models.

> Different sub sets of people want to do one or the other and oppose
> one or the other, because it is not in their primary interest. I am
> coming to the conclusion, that this list of 3 topics are just 3 work
> areas of our WG. They are all part of virtual world interop. There is
> no single work, that can solve VW interop for all uses cases.

It may, indeed, be that there's plenty of work to go around, and the
it's ultimately the right thing to have multiple documents from each
of these areas coming out of the working group.  There are certainly
working groups with that sort of workload.

Those sorts of working groups didn't establish charters like that straight away.

The way to approach this, when you're coming into a community of
standards engineers who are less familiar with this stuff than you are
is to start by setting up a less ambitious chunk of work to get going
in a work environment you're not used to.  It makes both sides more
comfortable.

Carve out one or two areas to work on that most can agree with be (1)
useful and (2) feasible to finish in a relatively short time.  Set up
a charter that aims to work on those.  By the time that's close to
being done, you'll be used to the IETF and the IETF will be used to
you, and the group can be re-chartered (or parallel groups can be
formed) to crank on all the rest of this.

If you come to the IETF and say, "We have all this stuff we want to
do, and some people think some of it should be done, and others think
other of it should be done, and no one agrees on anything, but we want
to do it all!", it will give people the willies.  The IETF *does* have
work that can be described that way (mention NAT66 to a few people),
but it developed through community and familiarity.

Barry Leiba, MMOX BOF co-chair