Re: [mmox] OGP scalability concerns

"Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com> Thu, 02 April 2009 01:49 UTC

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
To: Jon Watte <jwatte@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:50:30 -0700
Cc: "mmox@ietf.org" <mmox@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mmox] OGP scalability concerns

Okay... if we want to get pedantic, then let's get pedantic.

	* 47 CFR 51.3 defines interoperability as "the ability of two or more
facilities, or networks, to be connected, to exchange information, and
to use the information that has been exchanged."

	* 17 USCS § 1201 describes interoperability as "means the ability of
computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs
mutually to use the information which has been exchanged."

	* 44 USCS § 3601 describes interoperability as "the ability of
different operating and software systems, applications, and services
to communicate and exchange data in an accurate, effective, and
consistent manner."

	* The IEEE has used "the ability of two or more systems or components
to exchange information and to use the information that has been
exchanged." as the definition of the term.

I would suggest that we all might be using the term incorrectly as the
definitions above imply an exchange of information; that is,
information flows between two facilities, networks, computer programs,
operating systems, applications, services, systems or components.

Perhaps it is more appropriate to say:

	* "Second Life (as a service) has demonstrated interoperability with
an instance of OpenSim using a version of the OGP protocol." or
	* "sim3078.aditi.lindenlab.com has demonstrated interoperability with
ec2-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX.compute-1.amazonaws.com using a version of the OGP
protocol." or
	* "Second Life server version 1.22 (as a software system) has
demonstrated interoperability with a version of OpenSim."

But I would defend our previous usage of the term to describe OGP as
an "interoperability protocol" because, in fact, there are software
systems (Second Life and OpenSim) which use it to exchange information
which is used by either system.

I believe the term you're looking for, given your usage is
"universality." And no, OGP does not provide universality. OGP does
not allow WoW to talk with Star Wars Galaxies or There.Com or a
Forterra simulation. It also doesn't solve world hunger or global
warming. But then again, OGP was not intended to provide that kind of
universality (or to solve world hunger.) And I would suggest that
neither LESS nor DIS nor HLA were designed for universality either. I
further believe that universality is not a feature of a protocol, but
of markets, products and possibly networks.

-cheers
-meadhbh