Re: [mmox] Global Object Identification

Infinity Linden <infinity@lindenlab.com> Fri, 19 June 2009 21:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:08:42 -0700
From: Infinity Linden <infinity@lindenlab.com>
To: Tommi Laukkanen <tommi.s.e.laukkanen@gmail.com>
Cc: mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] Global Object Identification

Historically, systems like Second Life and OpenSim have used UUIDs to
identify objects. As a number of us started thinking about
interoperability, the idea of the "naked UUID" (i.e. - a UUID that
exists without context) would pose a problem. I think there's general
agreement that moving to a system where you use URIs to identify
objects is "a good idea." The idea being that if you have a URL,
you'll always know where to go to get meta-information about the
object (if not the digital representation of the object itself.)

I think there's been discussion about "rebooting" the digital asset
sub-system to make it a better fit for a distributed virtual world
(and more scalable) to include the use of URIs to address objects,
what classes of objects should be defined in the specification, and
how one extends the list of defined object classes. In previous drafts
of the charter, there was an objective for this listed as "OGP Virtual
World Primitive Object Format." A title like "Digital Asset Addressing
and Definition" might be a better title.

But the take-away is, there's been some thought about this. John
Hurliman has been working on a full-on asset service. OpenSim and
Second Life  (and probably realXtend and others) would benefit from a
well defined asset service that uses URIs for references, perhaps
using the existing asset classes defined by SL/OpenSim and maybe
realXtend.

-cheers
-meadhbh