Re: [MMUSIC] Unified Plan for SDP Handling - multiple media sources

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 17 July 2013 04:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 23:12:50 -0500
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Unified Plan for SDP Handling - multiple media sources

On 7/16/13 18:29, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Yes, it is annoying when new docs attempt to redefine behavior in existing deployed RFCs.

And it's annoying when people try to comment on a proposal based solely
on the mailing list discussion as opposed to reading the document in
question.

Let's set the mudslinging aside for a moment.

>    RFC 5576 has multiple implementations today, and none of them have a one-at-a-time restriction.

Roni was confused, and you're riffing off his confusion. His comment was
on the second bullet of section 2, which tries to clear up historical
ambiguity by defining clear semantics for what it means to have multiple
SSRCs specified in a single m-line IN THE ABSENCE of any signaling
indicating their purpose.

Now, this clarification is nearly meaningless outside the context of the
*first* bullet of section 2, which explains that each m-line corresponds
to exactly one media stream track. I suppose it is this context you are
missing, because I've worked with you in the past and know that you're
smart enough to connect these dots and arrive at the conclusion that the
second bullet, combined with the constraint imposed by the first bullet,
is making things better, not worse.

In case we need to connect the dots for other working group
participants, I'll be explicit. There are quite a number of use cases in
which it is perfectly reasonable to have several SSRCs associated with a
single media stream track, all of which are sent simultaneously.
However, without explicit signaling (" Absent any other signaled
extension", to use the exact phrase from the draft), there is very
little hope of recipients having the first clue about what to do with
these simultaneous streams all associated with the same media stream
track. So we don't allow that, in general.

There's an exception, and it ties back to legacy use. In the
preponderance of legacy cases in which a single m-line (historically,
transport 5-tuple) was associated with multiple SSRCs, these multiple
streams were sent in an exclusive (that is, non-parallel, one-at-a-time)
fashion, and were meant to replace each other [1]. To maximize
interoperability with legacy systems, the draft takes this
(traditionally non-signaled) behavior and makes it the default when
multiple SSRCs are present but not otherwise explained by the signaling.
The bullet we're discussing requires signaling for all other uses; and,
in doing so, effectively forbids multiple SSRCs only in the cases where
sending them would be undefined or ambiguous.

If you don't think this course of action is a wise decision, please
weigh in on the semantics you think should be implied when several SSRCs
are present for a single media stream track without explicit signaling
about their purpose. It's certainly something that I'd be happy to
engage in useful discussion around. We had what I think is sound logic
behind our choice, but there's no way we thought of everything. Your
insights may be useful. However, simply sniping that you don't like this
aspect of the proposal is counter to the goal (which I hope you share)
of making progress.

/a

___
[1] I recognize that this observation about common historical behavior
is based on my own experiences dealing with an admittedly limited set of
products, and does not represent an exhaustive survey of the entire
implementaion space. I'd love to hear what other people's observations
of implementations' intended semantics when multiple SSRCs are present
for a single logical stream without any signaling as to their purpose.