Re: [MMUSIC] Bundling data channel and RTP? - Text proposal - Second try

"GUBALLA, JENS (JENS)" <jens.guballa@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 15 June 2015 12:53 UTC

From: "GUBALLA, JENS (JENS)" <jens.guballa@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:53:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.38]
Cc: "pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu" <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Bundling data channel and RTP? - Text proposal - Second try

Hi Christer,

[JG] I prefer the term "DTLS connection" over "DTLS association" because
I am not aware that the latter term is defined anywhere in the scope of
(D)TLS.
RFC6347 is using the terms "connection" and "association" interchangeably
without
any definition. On the other hand the term "connection" is at least present
in the glossary section of RFC5246.

>    o  Each usage of the DTLS association within the BUNDLE group MUST
>       use the same mechanism for determining which endpoints (the
>       offerer or answerer) becomes DTLS client and DTLS server; and
>
>    o  If the DTLS client supports DTLS-SRTP [RFC5764] it MUST include
>       the 'use_srtp' extension [RFC5764] in the DTLS ClientHello message
>       [RFC5764], The client MUST include the extension even if the usage
>       of DTLS-SRTP is not negotiated as part of the session.
[JG] I believe here "session" is referring to "SIP session", not to "DTLS
session",
right? Should be explicitly stated in any case.

>    NOTE: The inclusion of the 'use_srtp' extension during the initial
>    DTLS handshake ensures that a DTLS renegotiation will not be required
>    in order to include the extension, in case DTLS-SRTP encrypted media
>    is added to the BUNDLE group later during the session.
[JG] "Session": Same comment as above.

Best regards,
Jens