Re: [MMUSIC] Feedback requested on requirements - DES F13

worley@ariadne.com (Dale R. Worley) Thu, 18 April 2013 20:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:47:04 -0400
From: worley@ariadne.com
Sender: worley@ariadne.com
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Feedback requested on requirements - DES F13

Answering messages from Magnus and Christer regarding DES F13:

> From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>

> >    DES F13  It is desirable for RTP media to appear on the wire as
> >       (encrypted) SRTP packets and for RTCP reports to appear on the
> >       wire as (authenticated but not encrypted) SRTCP packets.  Thus,
> >       encryption of RTP/RTCP via DTLS and encapsulation of multiplexed
> >       packets is not desirable.
>
> I am not certain I understand the motivations for this requirement. Is
> the need to having unencrypted RTCP for third party monitors? From a
> security point of view I see issues with such blanket statements. There
> can be information in the RTCP that is sensitive for privacy reasons.

I omitted the discussion of this desideratum:

   This desideratum was suggested by Martin Thompson (http://
   www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mmusic/current/msg10400.html) and Dan
   Wing (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mmusic/current/
   msg10408.html).

The two referenced messages are:

    From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson at gmail.com>
    Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:11:21 -0800
    Cc: "mmusic at ietf.org" <mmusic at ietf.org>

    There are no security reasons why this wouldn't work.  Some
    applications already do this.

    The actual problems are manifold:

     - SRTP was designed to have a low per-packet overhead.  The DTLS
    record layer has a larger per-packet overhead.
     - SRTP exposes certain attributes in clear text for intermediaries to
    use.  Intentionally.  Using DTLS would lose this.
     - SRTP enjoys wide support.  This would harm interoperability with
    existing communication devices, forcing the use of more complex
    gateways.