Re: [MMUSIC] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-35: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org> Wed, 19 June 2019 09:12 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>
To: "fandreas@cisco.com" <fandreas@cisco.com>, "draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis@ietf.org>
CC: "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>, Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, "mmusic-chairs@ietf.org" <mmusic-chairs@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 09:11:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.64.22.6]
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-35: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi!

Thanks for the revision to Section 7 to clarify the language within the section.  I still see a conflict between the guidance in Section 5.12 and 7.

Section 5.12 says:
   The "k=" line (key-field) is obsolete and MUST NOT be used.  It is
   included in this document for legacy reasons.  One MUST NOT include a
   "k=" line in an SDP, and MUST discard it if it is received in an SDP.

The new text in Section 7 says:
   SDP MUST NOT be used to convey keying material (e.g., using
   "a=crypto" [RFC4568]) unless it can be guaranteed that the channel
   over which the SDP is delivered is both private and authenticated.

My read is that Section 5.12 says don't use k= and drop it if you see it; and Section 7 says don't use k= unless you can guarantee certain channel properties.  Consider the situation where one has the right channel properties (per Section 7), why would one use k= since Section 5.12 would dictate that this k= would get dropped?

> COMMENT:
>
> (1) Per the Security Considerations (Section 7) paragraph on “software
> parsing the session should take a few precautions”, the discussion about
> software taking action is helpful.  I’d also recommend explicitly adding
> caution about acting on URIs (e.g., the security considerations of [RFC3986])
> to this section.
>
> (2) Section 6.7.  Typo. s/occurence/occurrence/

Thanks for the new text in -36 to address this feedback.

Regards,
Roman