Re: [MMUSIC] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mmusic-sctp-sdp-02.txt

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Fri, 02 November 2012 10:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:35:12 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mmusic-sctp-sdp-02.txt

On 10/24/2012 08:05 AM, Salvatore Loreto wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have updated the draft trying to capture the result of the
> discussion we had in this mailing list
> writing down for SCTP a <fmt> syntax similar to that used for RTP,
> i.e. with "channle numbers" being used in a way analogous to payload
> type numbers.
FWIW, I think locking ourselves into this scheme is a Very Bad Idea. It
will make it impossible to do many of the novel and interesting
applications envisaged by WebRTC participants.

If you want to have the ability to declare some scoping for SCTP usage,
I think we should at least:

- Extend the "a=streams" parameter to take a range, including "*" for
"unlimited".
a=streams:1-* would mean that one expects to use at least 1 stream, but
no upper limit.
a=streams:0-255 would mean that one may or may not use streams, but
can't support more than 255.

- Extend the "a=datachannel" syntax to take a default notation, and not
limit other fields.
a=datachannel:* RTCWeb would then mean that all datachannels not
explicitly specified will use the RTCWeb protocol, and label and other
options will be passed using the RTCWeb initialization protocol.

I would like to just hardcode in my browser that it always sends

m=application 1234 DTLS/SCTP 0
a=streams:0-*
a=datachannel:* RTCWeb

and really have SDP O/A stay out of the way of datachannel setup. I
don't see the need to do more.
But others may have other needs.