Re: [MMUSIC] [rtcweb] Updating JSEP and BUNDLE

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 26 January 2021 09:07 UTC

To: mmusic@ietf.org
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 10:07:00 +0100
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] [rtcweb] Updating JSEP and BUNDLE

Magnus:

1) IETF is most successful when it creates fora that are focused on
delivering a product. Using long-lived, generic review mechanisms such
as MMUSIC has a long history of failure; in particular, this particular
BUNDLE change was done in MMUSIC without making RTCWEB aware of the
introduced incompatibility, showing that MMUSIC failed to achieve IETF
coordination on the issue, despite RTCWEB being the only significantly
affected IETF WG, and the fact that RTCWEB was the cause of the BUNDLE
work being started at all.

2) Anyone from MMUSIC is welcome to be part of the RTCWEB discussion on
the subject. That's how cooperation between IETF WGs is supposed to be
achieved: By cross-participation.

The solution to this problem needs IETF (rough) consensus. This includes
the participants of MMUSIC, but does not, and should not, as far as I
can tell, require that the particular subgroup of the IETF that
self-identifies as "MMUSIC" have consensus on the issue.

I take my part of the blame (as listed co-author on BUNDLE) for not
reviewing the change properly and realizing the JSEP impact of the
change. But you certainly cannot argue that the history is a good
argument that introducing a formal depenency on MMUSIC increases the
chance of success for this particular endeavor.

(I have long argued that long-lived fora like MMUSIC should have the
name of "WG" taken from them and explicitly be barred from taking on new
work; these long-lived fora serve a very important purpose as
institutional memory, but their success rate on involvement with new
work is not something that impresses me.)

Harald