Re: [MMUSIC] draft-ivov-dispatch-trickle-ice-sip/draft-ivov-mmusic-trickle-ice - PRACK not mandatory

"Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com> Mon, 08 April 2013 12:15 UTC

From: "Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:15:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Cc: "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] draft-ivov-dispatch-trickle-ice-sip/draft-ivov-mmusic-trickle-ice - PRACK not mandatory

I agree, that Paul has a good point.
However, I still do not see a requirement for PRACK.
I would still like to avoid it due to the big debate during development of ICE that occurred back in IETF64.

Once the UAS has sent the 183 there is an early dialog.
Of course the 183 can be lost, such that UAS and UAC are out of sync with respect to the dialog state.

Now, RFC5245 specifies (in case PRACK is not used) that the provisional response is retransmitted
with the exponential backoff timers. I want to keep this behaviour also for trickle ICE because now
the UAC will eventually receive one of the retransmissions and could also send trickled candidates.

Interesting is of course what happens with the INFO if the UAC has not yet received a provisional response.
I would expect receipt of a 481 response to the INFO request since the UAC does not yet know about the dialog.
This 481 could trigger at the UAS the immediate retransmission of the provisional response
in order to establish the early dialog. Then, the INFO could also be retransmitted.

Regards
Thomas