Re: [MMUSIC] Simulcast: Inclusion of the same SCID in multiple Simulcast streams

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 01 November 2016 17:48 UTC

To: mmusic@ietf.org
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 12:48:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Simulcast: Inclusion of the same SCID in multiple Simulcast streams

Unless there are really strong and compelling reasons for making this
change, I am strongly opposed to it. Draft-ietf-avtext-rid is already in
the RFC editor queue, and it scopes RtpStreamIds (which is the
underlying RTP representation of a SCID) to be unique within a single
RTP session; and, if BUNDLE is being used, to be unique within a single MID.

To accommodate the change you describe, we'd have to pull
draft-ietf-avtext-rid out of the RFC editor queue and change scoping
rules altogether.

To be clear, the *current* property is that SCIDs can't be shared
between multiple simulcast streams, although this is only expressed
through the use of RtpStreamId as the underlying RTP construct. Even
though this is unambiguous, it would probably be good to re-state that
constraint in the simulcast document.

/a