Re: [MMUSIC] Trickle ICE for SIP Questions

"Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com> Thu, 04 July 2013 13:15 UTC

From: "Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:15:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Cc: MMUSIC IETF WG <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Trickle ICE for SIP Questions

Emil,
inline

[TS] I'm not convinced about the different level of complexity.
If you use PRACK you have SIP timer T1 running and would re-transmit the 180 in case that the PRACK is not received.
Assuming that you want to wait with sending of the INFO until you saw the PRACK, would lead to delay in that case.
If you don't wait you would also have to treat a 481 response to the INFO.
... and you would detect quicker that the 180 was lost than by waiting for the PRACK.

BTW: 5245 recommends to use PRACK. However it does not mandate it, but gives the alternative procedures as an option.
You could do the same here.

> Opinions?
>
> Q2: How do we send INFOs? Are they blocking or do we just send them in
> parallel? If the latter, then what happens when an INFO fails because
> it
> is received out of order? Do we just tell the application to resend the
> candidates asap?
[TS] I would go with the proposal below and send cumulatively. You also have the CSeq: header field to detect late arrivals.

> This also leads to the following question:
>
> Q3: What exactly do we send in INFOs? Just the latest batch of freshly
> learned candidates or all candidates we've learned so far? Dale
> suggested that if we do this cumulatively we wouldn't need to worry
> about the case with the out-of-order INFOs from Q2 since the
> information
> gets resent anyway. A drawback here would obviously be that this adds
> more complexity for trickle ICE users (WebRTC applications
> specifically)
[TS] Again I'm not convinced about the complexity. Both peer know their candidates, what is the issue in putting all of them into the INFO?

> A third option would be to allow both and leave it to the application.
[TS] This now adds complexity. ;-) I would just always send all candidates.
Regards
Thomas