[MMUSIC] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp-20

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 14 March 2017 03:58 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp.all@ietf.org, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:58:25 -0500
Subject: [MMUSIC] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp-20

Hi,

This is my AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp-20. I'd like to
resolve my substantive comments and questions prior to IETF last call.

Thanks!

Ben.

---------------------

Substantive Comments:

- section 4: "If an offer or answer does not
    contain a ’dtls-id’ attribute (this could happen if the offerer
or
    answerer represents an existing implementation that has not been
    updated to support the ’dtls-id’ attribute), the offer or answer
MUST
    be treated as if no ’dtls-id’ attribute is included. "

That seems to say that if dtls-id is not included, the offer or answer
must be treated as if it's not included. Since that's tautologically
true, I suspect you meant to say something more?

-8, 2nd paragraph: Why are the 2 SHOULDs not MUSTs? Can you invision a
scenario where it would make sense to not follow them?

-9.2, new text for section 5, 5th paragraph:
Since we are touching this section, shouldn't we update the 4474
reference to 4474bis, and update the language about what gets signed in
4474bis? And can we take this opportunity for a MUST level requirement
for some kind of integrity protection of fingerprints, even if not
4474/4474bis? (At least when not considering opportunistic crypto
cases.)

-- 4th paragraph from end of new text:
should "the certificate fingerprint" say "a certificate fingerprint"?
(Since you can have multiple fingerprints now...)

-10:

If you accept my suggestion to move from 4474 to 4474bis in the updated
text for 5763, that will create changes that should probably be
mentioned here. For example, 4474bis signatures cover fewer things than
do 4474 signatures. The hope that 4474bis may be more deployable than
4474, and therefore really used, may also be worth a mention here.

Editorial Comments:

- Throughout the document, I found it confusing whether a "new"
association means an initial association or a replacement association.
In some places it doesn't matter (and I was happy to see that it really
doesn't matter for much of the normative guidance), but for example 5.4
talks about replacing an old association even though IIUC the section
talks about the answer to an initial offer.

If the intent is for new to mean "initial or replacement" in all cases,
then a sentence to that effect early in the document would be helpful.

- 3.1, "A new DOTLS association MUST be estlablished ...": Established
by what? (Please consider active voice.) Also, that MUST seems redundant
to the 2119 language in the much more detailed procedure sections that
follow; maybe this should be lower case?

"The intent to establish a new DTLS association is explicitly signaled
...": Likewise, signaled by what?

- 3.2: Are the 2119 keywords here redundant with those in the more
detailed procedure sections that follow?

- 3.2, paragraph 2: I don't think the word "explicitly" constrains
anything. Also, s/"... to span ..." / "... from spanning ..."

- 4: "a modification of one or more of the following characteristics
MUST be treated as an indication": Treated as an indication by what?
(Please consider active voice when using 2119 keywords.)

- 5.1, paragraph 4: "a new
    transport (3-tuple) MUST be allocated by at least one of the end
    points so that DTLS packets can be de-multiplexed.":

That seems redundant with the more detailed procedures that follow.
Please consider it descriptively here, and saving the 2119 words for the
more detailed procedures.

-6, 2nd paragraph: Can you offer a citation for the deprecation of
aggressive nomination?
-- 3rd paragraph: "at least one of the endpoints MUST allocate": I
suspect that's redundant to 2119 language in the detailed procedures.
But if it's not, please restate with specific procedure for the offerer
and answer. It's vague to assign a 2119 MUST to "at least one".

-8, first paragraph: "If forking occurs, separate DTLS associations MUST
be established between the caller and each callee.": This seems like a
statement of fact. That is, how could they _not_ establish a separate
association, since I assume you would end up with a unique 5-tuple for
each branch.

-9.2, paragraph 5: "The SIP message containing the offer SHOULD be sent
    the offerer’s SIP proxy over an integrity protected channel":

This seems redundant with a previous statement 2 sentences back. (Yes,
this was in the original text...)

-- Last paragraph in new text for section 5: Do you intend for "RFCXXXX"
to refer to _this_ document? If so, a note to the RFC editor to that
effect would be helpful. (There are multiple occurrences.)