Re: [MMUSIC] DECISION (VANCOUVER-Q9): Criteria for PT value re-usage [WAS: (BERLIN-Q1/Q2/Q7): Usage of specific PT value for single codec configuration)]

Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com> Wed, 30 October 2013 14:59 UTC

From: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:58:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [160.79.219.114]
Cc: mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] DECISION (VANCOUVER-Q9): Criteria for PT value re-usage [WAS: (BERLIN-Q1/Q2/Q7): Usage of specific PT value for single codec configuration)]

On Oct 30, 2013, at 4:11 AM, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
 wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
>> This works as an outline, but I'm afraid it'll be too vague for solid interoperability.
>
> At the end of the day, it is the receiver that informs the remote party which PT values it wants to receive, so if it chooses the same PT values it has to know that it is able to handle it.
>
> We COULD go even more into detail, but then I'm afraid we would have to start defining codec specific criteria etc, and I don't think we should go that way.

I don't want codec-specific criteria -- but I do want to know, e.g., whether PT-specific a=rtcp-fb: attributes MUST be aligned across bundled m-lines, or if they're free to vary, or what.

There are a bunch of SDP attributes that have PT-scoped properties.  I think this analysis needs to be added to the mux-attributes draft.