[MMUSIC] Review of draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice-02

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Thu, 03 September 2015 19:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:36:43 -0400
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
To: mmusic@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [MMUSIC] Review of draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice-02

I've reviewed draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice-02. Sorry for the delay
since Prague.

First some nits, mostly in the introduction.

s 1, para 1
There's an extra comma I think.
s/gathering, candidates,/gathering candidates,/

s 1, para 2 and elsewhere
Does the term "candidate harvesting" come from somewhere specific? I
don't find it in RFC5245. I would stick "candidate gathering" throughout
for consistency with 5245 unless you mean something distinctly different
by the term, in which case a definition is called for in section 2.

s 1, para 2
"Gathering candidates ... would often involve". I suggest just
"Gathering candidates ... often involves"

s 1
The intro could benefit from a specific example of the lengthy session
establishment time mentioned in para 3.

s1, para 4
It's just '... known as "trickle ICE"' I think, not 'also known as'.

s1, para 5
trickle ICE allows candidates of any type to be exchanged as soon as
they've been discovered, right? Not just "exchange host candidates as
soon as a session has been initiated".

s1, para 7
"needs to be" and "should operate" make the paragraph a little harder to
read. I suggest "... how support for trickle ICE is discovered, how
checklists are built and updated with trickle ICE, and how trickle ICE
implementations interoperate with ..."

s 4, para 1
Seems to indicate that RFC5245 describes what a trickle ICE agent should
do. Needs re-wording. I think you mean that there's a requirement in
5245 that leads to the requirement stated here.

s 4.1
s/relay candidates/relayed candidates/

s 9.3
There's a redundant sentence in the first paragraph on page 16.
"Sending the indication is necessary in order to avoid ambiguities and
speed up ICE conclusion. This is necessary in order to avoid
ambiguities and speed up ICE conclusion."

Now for some (hopefully) more substantive comments.

s 3
I think the section on "Incompatibility with Standard ICE" comes too
early. It's difficult to process because the doc has not yet introduced
the details of how trickle ICE works. Also in this section, do you
really mean to indicate that trickle ICE is "incompatible" with RFC5245?
The first example simply appears to be pointing to a way in which
trickle ICE differs from vanilla ICE.

s 4, para 2
I think the draft should probably say the offering agent "MUST NOT
attempt trickle negotiation" if it doesn't know the remote peer supports
trickle, as opposed to "is is important that ..."

s 4.1, para 1
The concept of "end-of-candidates indication" is introduced here without
explaining it. In general, I think that describing Full Trickle
completely before introducing Half Trickle would make it easier to
follow the Half Trickle details.

s 4.1, para 1
It's not clear that it would ever make sense to send a Half Trickle
offer without a complete candidate list and an end-of-candidates
indication, since if trickle support is not confirmed, there would be no
opportunity to send additional candidates and have the non-trickle peer
use them for anything. Suggesting such an operation appears to
contradict the earlier discussion in section 4.

s 4.1
The explanation of how Half Trickle can deliver more than half the
benefit almost seems to indicate that there is no reason for a UA that
gathers in response to UI cues to perform Full Trickle. Is that what you
intend?

s 5
It might be good in the paragraph that says "agents MAY generate an
offer that contains no candidates" to explain the benefit. I think its
because of one or both of: 1) allows the offering agent to receive the
remote agents initial candidate list sooner, and 2) it allows the
answering agent to begin candidate gathering sooner.

s 5.1
Your use of "... would still need to ..." in the paragraph about sending
no candidates indicates that the use of IP6 :: is a MUST when there is
no suitable candidate to send in the initial offer, rather than a MAY.

s 6
I'm not sure what "Specifically, such verification would indicate lack
of support when the offer contains no candidates." means here. I think
you mean that the RFC%@$% support verification procedure would fail, but
that it will not if trickle is supported. Is this the only change to the
RFC5245 support verification procedure? And wouldn't it be better to
specifically call out the required change(s) with MUST?

s 6.1
What would be the benefit of sending and answer with no candidates? Is
this to avoid a timeout of some sort triggering on the offering peer? It
might be helpful to implementers to give an example.

s 6.2
It's unclear to me why it's useful to monitor Active/Frozen state for
check lists with no remote and/or local candidates. What is actually
being monitored in? Or is this just meant to indicate than an empty
checklist MUST/SHOULD be treated as frozen for the purpose of the frozen
candidates algorithm?

s 9
Why does trickle ICE do something different than vanilla ICE regarding
candidate redundancy and priority? Are there any possible negative
consequences? If there's a reason to believe that this isn't a concern,
it might be good to call it out.

s 9.1
Are there potential cases where limiting the maximum list of candidate
pairs with trickle could result in a different list than vanilla ICE?
For example, it seems that deciding on the candidate pairs after all
gathering is complete may allow candidate priority to be taken into
account more effectively than dropping new pairs regardless of priority
as candidates trickle in.

s A.2
The document goes into some detail about the importance of unfreeze
timing as part of ensuring that checks get through. This indicates to me
that resolution of the question of when to unfreeze and start checks is
critical to resolve.

That's it. Hope it's useful. Please let me know if any of these comments
are unclear.

--Brandon
--
Brandon Williams; Chief Architect
Cloud Networking; Akamai Technologies Inc.