Re: [MMUSIC] [rtcweb] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-uberti-rtcweb-plan-00.txt

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 07 May 2013 13:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 15:25:35 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Roni Even <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org, mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] [rtcweb] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-uberti-rtcweb-plan-00.txt

On 05/07/2013 02:51 PM, Roni Even wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that plan B is the right direction. I am wondering if this
> should be discussed in RTCWEB or MMUSIC

Good question.

> I like the proposed solution for multicast support but there is also
> an individual draft in MMUSIC see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-westerlund-avtcore-rtp-simulcast-02 .
> I think that it will be good to have a separate document on simulcast
> support
>
> Some comments
>
> 1.In section 3.1 when talking about using more than one m-line for a
> media type I think that there are other cases when this may be
> required . for example, if an attribute is not specified at SSRC level
> or if the SDP will be simpler when using multiple m-line  )describing
> different codec combinations
>
> 2.In section 3.2 the document says that collision will not happen if
> the answerer sees the SDP from the Offer. I am not sure it will work
> when joining a multipoint conference since the offer is joining an
> existing session and do not know what SSRC have been used. I think
> that the issue is handled in RFC5576 so you can point at it.
>
> 3.The draft, as far as I can tell, is discussing point to point calls
> and full meshed conferences. I think we need to look at other
> topologies including a centralized MCU doing video switch, for example.

I'm not sure the multipoint conference scenario (using a mixer,
transport relay or multicast) is in scope here. Those scenarios can't be
done with offer/answer anyway.

With scenarios that do centralized call termination (and not using
CSRC), doing per-leg SSRC allocation is reasonable.