Re: [MMUSIC] SCTP question: Where does it multiplex?

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Sat, 01 December 2012 14:53 UTC

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 15:53:45 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] SCTP question: Where does it multiplex?

On 12/01/2012 12:03 PM, Salvatore Loreto wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> sorry to be late on this
> and thanks a lot for raising the question
>
> IMO how to multiplex DTLS/SCTP traffic with te rest of the "WebRTC"
> traffic is something that belongs
> to the BUNDLE discussion, and there won't be anything about how to
> bundle in this draft.
> To answer your question at present I don't think there should be
> anything special for DTLS/SCTP
The interesting difference is that the multiplexing between DTLS/SCTP
traffic and BUNDLE multiplexing is that DTLS/SCTP traffic is not carried
in SSRCs, which means:

- There can be only one DTLS/SCTP stream in a bundle (which may have
multiple associations, as you state below); you can't have multiple
lines with proto DTLS/SCTP in a bundle.
- None of the ordinary BUNDLE considerations about colliding parameters
apply

Since the ability to multiplex was thought an important factor for
selecting this stacking, we'd better make sure we specify how it's being
done.

> However, what I have in my working copy on the draft (I will publish
> it at some point next week)
> and it can be interesting to you is the possibility to have multiple
> SCTP associations on top of the same
> DTLS connection (for future WebRTC scenarios, or non WebRTC scenarios):
>
>        Running SCTP over DTLS make possible to have multiple SCTP
>        associations on top of the same DTLS connection; each SCTP
>        association make use of a distinct port number that is mainly
>     used to
>        demultiplex the associations.  If the <proto> sub-field is 'DTLS/
>        SCTP' the <fmt> sub-fields contain SCTP association port numbers.

that's a sentence fragment I can't parse, so I hope you revise that
before submission. If there's a comma before "the <fmt> sub-fields" it
parses.