Re: [MMUSIC] Connection Data Capability (ccap) and IP-addresses (draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-miscellaneous-caps-04)

"Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com> Thu, 21 March 2013 16:28 UTC

From: "Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>, Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>, "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>, Atle Monrad <atle.monrad@ericsson.com>, "md3135@att.com" <md3135@att.com>, Stach Thomas <thomas.stach@siemens.com>, Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:28:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Cc: "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Connection Data Capability (ccap) and IP-addresses (draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-miscellaneous-caps-04)

I don't object against having an IP adress in the ccap attribute and a PSTN number in the c-line,
if that indicates a preference for the PSTN number.
But I don't like to have an IPv4 and/or IPv6 adress in both ccap and c-line
as this would introduce a second method for IPv4/v6 negotiation in addition to ICE.

My objection on this is based on what I remember from the IETF-68 discussion
on usage of ICE vs. ANAT vs. SDP Capability-Negotiation for IPv4/IPv6 negotiation.
Cap-Neg did not address negotiations of IP address families at that time,
but could have been extended accordingly.

Although the consensus at that meeting was very rough, ICE was finally selected as the
method of choice since it also allows to test which address family would work based on connectivity checks.
This also led to the deprecation of ANAT, as people didn't want to have two methods for the
IPv4/IPv6 negotiation (and due to ANAT's other drawbacks).
A Cap-Neg extension via ccap would also miss a function for connectivity checking (common with ANAT).
I think this ability was seen as the major advantage of ICE and an Cap-Neg extension
was no longer persued until the need for negotiation of a PSTN vs. IP adress came up.
We should stick to the decision from IETF-68 to only use ICE for IPv4/v6 negotiation.

Regards
Thomas