Re: [MOBILE-IP] WG Last Call-(draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-03.txt)

Sat, 21 October 2000 20:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:55:08 +0300
To: Satwant Kaur <wizkid11@XNET.COM>
CC: MOBILE-IP@STANDARDS.NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] WG Last Call-(draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-03.txt)

Hi,

In my opinion, additional messages makes the protocol partly clearer,
but partly more complex.

Here are my questions (please point me to the appropriate messages, if
these questions have already been discussed :)

- Is it possible/needed that a FA does not know the GFA or GFAs above
it?
I think FAs and GFAs should have trust relationships = knowledge of
each other.

- Why do we need to add intelligence to the mobile node?
Having a totally transparent hierarchy is possible. The MN would speak
standard RFC2002 MIP and would still get the best efficiency in
registrations through the regionalized handoffs. By defining new
messages we do add intelligence to MN. It must know what kind of
registrations to send.

And my totally subjective opinion:
  ;-)
Despite the lively discussion about regionalized handoffs etc., I
still have not seen many transparent, fast and *implemented*
approaches. If the ideas in the drafts have been implemented, please
provide the community some links to the material. Dynamics  - HUT
Mobile IP has been rocking for 1.5 years now. Dynamics is transparent
to the Mobile Node and still provides fast handoffs.

Should we write a competing draft? ;-) We didn't do it in the first
place because we felt it would just slow down the fast handoff design
process. Unfortunately the process has been unbelievably slow. I am
really looking forward to a solution in this issue.

Regards,
	Tom

--
        Tom Weckström           Dynamics group
                                Helsinki University of Technology

Satwant Kaur wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am implementing the Regional Registration
> (draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-03.txt), and I agree with Annika that it is
> important for FA and GFA to be able to make the distinction between the Home
> Registration Request (type 1) and Regional Registration Request (type 2)
> messages. Furthermore, the mobility Agents should also be able to make a
> distinction between Registration Reply (type 3) and Regional registration
> reply (type 4).
>
> Another case where a similar problem would arise:
>
> Suppose MN wants to do Home Registration with a FA who does not advertise
> itself. MN wants to be assigned a GFA and so it sends a Home Registration
> Request (type 1) with careof field as 0, and HA address in the Home Agent
> field.
>
> Now, if we do not have additional message types to be able to make a
> distinction between type 1 and type 2 Registration requests, the FA will
> have no way of knowing if (1) It is a home Registration with MN asking to be
> assigned a GFA for home Registration, or (2) It is a Regional Registration
> (with FA set to 0, since FA did not advertise itself).
>
> FA can (mis)interpret it as type 2 message. It will incorrectly assume that
> the HA address is really the GFA that the MN wants to register with. It will
> then forward the request to its HA address under the assumption it is really
> the GFA, instead of assigning a GFA address, and forwarding the registration
> to the assigned GFA.
>
> The above problem arose since FA reads the registration requests sent by MN,
> and forwards them to GFA. In the absence of the message type that would
> enable FA to make a distinction between home registration request (type 1)
> and regional registration request (type 2), the FA does not know where to
> send the request to. The GFA address lies in the Home Agent field in case of
> type 2 and in the careof field in case of type 1 message. If the additional
> type 2 message is not there, FA cannot make the distinction between Home Vs
> Regional Registration Request.
>
> Similar problems will arise at GFA level, since when the GFA reads the
> Registration Requests sent out by FA, and either forwards them to HA (in
> case of Home Registration) or sends the reply back to FA (in case of
> Regional Registration). If the type 2 message type is not there, GFA cannot
> make the distinction between Home and Regional Registration. And it would
> not know whether to send it forward to HA, or to send reply back to FA.
>
> Similar problems will also arise on the way back for Registration Reply
> messages at FA and GFA, if type 4 is not present.
>
> Apart from the problems in the above special cases, I also do not favor
> using anything other than message types to understand what type of
> registration /registration reply it is. The reason is if one uses some other
> characteristics of the packets (in this case, the extensions) other than its
> [...]

--VxBmi9VgMIlnmxn8