Re: [MOBILE-IP] Private addresses

Tom Hiller <tom.hiller@LUCENT.COM> Fri, 23 June 2000 13:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:47:45 -0500
From: Tom Hiller <tom.hiller@LUCENT.COM>
Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Private addresses
To: MOBILE-IP@STANDARDS.NORTELNETWORKS.COM

Hi

The approach taken in 3GPP2 was to require the FA and HA to have public
addresses, and then we keep track of link addresses, home address, and HA
address in the FA. By maintaining this triplet of information, the FA can
resolve overlapping addresses. We also authenticate the link itself (outside the
scope of IETF protocols using a separate key and mobile identifier called and
IMSI) -- it is important to authenticate the link with this approach.

This discussion occured on the Mobile IP mailing list one year ago.

Charles Perkins and Pat Calhoun also have a draft on private addresses that
encompasses private HA and FA as well as MN home addresses.

Thanks,
Tom

We did not tackle private HA or FA addresss

Thanks
Tom Hiller

----- End Included Message -----

----- Begin Included Message -----