Re: [Mobopts] RG Status, Meeting in Quebec City

Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com> Wed, 29 June 2011 05:25 UTC

From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:25:03 +0300
To: Rajeev Koodli <rkoodli@cisco.com>
Cc: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>, mobopts@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Mobopts] RG Status, Meeting in Quebec City

Hi,

On 2011-6-25, at 3:37, Rajeev Koodli wrote:
> Next, let me introduce Suresh Krishnan as the new co-chair of MobOpts.
> Suresh is keen on providing the rejuvenation the RG can benefit from, and
> will the lead the effort.

welcome, Suresh!

> We have had some exchange on this. The thinking is to broaden the scope of
> the mobility work, including (but not limited to) the following:
>
> - Investigate new mobility mechanisms and architectures, publish them as
> peer-reviewed publications.
>
> - Investigate privacy in mobile networks, especially with IPv6
>
> - Investigate mobile device policy management for functions such as network
> discovery, congestion reporting and flow management
>
> - provide a general forum for discussing mobility studies in a larger sense
> such as vehicular networks, personal area networks, 4G performance studies,
> testbed evaluations etc.
>
> - provide a forum for discussing experimental testbeds, results and so
> forth.
>
> We would like to hear your thoughts.

This is a good plan for MOBOPTS to stay active and relevant. But it is also significantly broadening the charter compared to what we currently have. This is not an issue per se, but the IAB and myself will want to see substantial, continuous and relevant researcher participation in the RG, before approving a new charter. I hope that the meeting in Quebec will put us on the track for that to occur.

Thanks,
Lars