Re: [Mobopts] New ID: Multicast Mobility in MIPv6: Problem Statement]

Thomas C Schmidt <schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de> Fri, 02 March 2007 13:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:37:22 +0100
From: Thomas C Schmidt <schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de>
To: Andy Huang <hpanda@huawei.com>, mobopts <mobopts@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Mobopts] New ID: Multicast Mobility in MIPv6: Problem Statement]

Hi Zhigang,

many thanks for the review!

Andy Huang wrote:

> I reviewed your draft and it's really a good job, especially you
> referred to a great number of references. Here ars some comments.
>
> Section 2.3.1
>   "For application transparency the logical node identifier,
>   commonly the HoA, must be presented as packet's source address to the
>   socket layer at the receiver side."
>
> I doubt about it. For the receivers using ASM, it's possible that they
> need not care about the IP source address.

Yes, you are right. Actually, this is application dependent. There are
UDP applications, which do not care about source addresses. However,
many do, especially if they use RTP-Stacks (IP Source is part of the RTP
session definition). A couple years ago we tested quite a number of
applications regarding their behaviour on source address changes: most
of them did react sensitive, some with error messges, some with real
application errors.

So that's why we stated that a network multicast service should preserve
address transparency, even if UDP sockets allow for address changes in
general.

> Section 4.1
> "triangular routing"
> This term is introduced in MIPv4, to describe data flow path between MN
> and CN. The data packets from CN to MN must pass through HA but data
> packets from MN to CN can be forwarded directly. It forms a triangle.
> It's not like this in multicast cases. I suggest using other words such
> as inefficient routing to replace it. But it's not a big problem.

:-), that's a minor formulation thing: some people (like us) call
routing triangular, if it is not direct (an open triangle) ... some,
linke in MIPv4, have a closed triangle in mind.
Anyway, it's clear though, I guess ....

> See you in Prague.

Yes: looking forward to further discussions

Thomas