[Mobopts] review of draft-irtf-mobopts-mpa-framework-05.txt

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Mon, 06 April 2009 15:56 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:56:48 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: draft-irtf-mobopts-mpa-framework@tools.ietf.org, irsg@isi.edu, mobopts@irtf.org
Cc: Rajeev Koodli <rajeev_koodli@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Mobopts] review of draft-irtf-mobopts-mpa-framework-05.txt

Hi,

I have reviewed <draft-irtf-mobopts-mpa-framework-05.txt> and I have
some issues with the document. I believe the document is not ready
for publication. Given the number of things I have found while reading
the document, I am wondering whether this version of the document has
had sufficient research group review. That said, let me state that I
am not a mobility expert and hence I am reading the document from the
viewpoint of an informed reader, but not as an expert in this field.

a) I would prefer more consistent terminology. For example, the
   document seems to use 'mobile terminal', 'mobile node', 'mobile',
   'terminal' to refer to the same concept. I believe the document
   gains clarity by choosing one term and sticking to it throughout
   the document.

b) Similar to a), I had a hard time to deal with the many acronyms
   that are being used in the document and sometimes the acronyms are
   not spelled the same or it seems different acronyms are used to
   refer to the same concept, making lookups harder than necessary.

c) The document references IDs that are seem to be in a limbo state,
   most notably the "accompanying document
   ID.ohta-mobopts-mpa-implementation" (last updated July 2007). Some
   of the contents of this ID seems to have been moved into the
   appendix? There is also I-D.taniuchi-netlmm-mpa-proxymipv6 (last
   updated March 2007), which will actually block publication.  I
   think any text related to ProxyMIPv6 should reference RFC 5213
   (which is not referenced at all).

d) I found section 8 somewhat weak and not too helpful in order to
   understand the MPA framework itself, which is the main contribution
   of this document. I am actually not sure section 8 is needed in the
   current form since the focus of the document announced at the
   beginning is on the MPA framework. Should section 8 really be part
   of this ID?  If yes, then 8.1.1 and 8.1.2 are probably not
   sufficiently specified, since they essentially refer to a dead (?)
   ID. The section on Proxy MIPv6 probably needs an update to align it
   with RFC 5213. I also find the figures 7-9 somewhat confusing (what
   is the meaning of the *,x,+,- characters?).

e) In general, the document is quite long and takes a while to read. I
   had the feeling that there is also some repetition (for example, I
   think I read several times that DAD is slow or about the advantages
   of using multiple interfaces during handover etc). I guess I would
   have been happier with a shorter document concentrating on the
   framework and either a separate document discussing concrete
   implementations or have _all_ discussions about framework
   implementation experiments in the appendix.

I am attaching a unified context diff with several editorial nits and
some additional questions placed in [[ ]] brackets where the context
is important to understand the question.

I hope you find this review useful!

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany