Re: [Mobopts] review of draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Wed, 03 June 2009 10:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 13:03:10 +0300
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: ml-mobopts <mobopts@irtf.org>, draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mobopts] review of draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions

I recently read this draft, and wanted to post some comments and questions:

The draft was well written and easy to read. It is about a very
interesting topic, and something that I would like to see even more IRTF
work on. Generally very interesting stuff, particularly about the
solution that allows you to communicate with a peer without telling the
peer what your home address is!

For background information, the draft specifies two different solutions.
The first solution uses a reverse tunneled binding update and obfuscated
home address field to prevent outsiders on the mobile node's link from
discovering the mobile node's home address, even if route optimization
to the correspondent node is used. The first solution extends the
definition of Routing Header Type 2 from RFC 3775 and allocates a new
IPv6 destination option for a new type of a home address. The second
solution specifies a new mechanism to allocate home addresses, and
functionality in the home agent to translate payload packets from the
use of the real home address to a newly allocated temporary home
address. The solution introduces router-based inspection and
modification of data packets. The draft allocates IPv6 destination
option values, Mobility Options, and modifies the existing Routing
Header Type 2 format.

I can see a potential problem in the redefinition of Type 2 Routing
Header. As you know, problems have been discovered in standardized
routing headers long after their specification. I am concerned that the
overloading of the Type 2 routing header used by RFC 3775 and the
proposed experimental extension couples the fate of these two functions.
That is, if a problem is discovered later in the draft, it may lead to
networks filtering all Type 2 routing headers, and not just the ones
using the extensibility bits. It would be more prudent to allocate a new
value for this specification, or perhaps use one of the already defined
experimental values from RFC 4727.

Another problem is that as far as I can determine, the second solution
introduces router-based packet inspection and an IPv6 NAT-like
functionality. Or am I missing something? Even if so, I am uncertain, if
the solution really needed this functionality. It might have been
possible to use or extend the existing home address allocation
mechanism, defined in RFC 4877 and make mobile node and upper layers
aware of which temporary home address is being used.) Or maybe the issue
is that the draft does not talk about how all this shows up for the
mobile node vs. the correspondent node. If the mobile node believes it
uses its home address when the correspondent node sees only a
pseudoaddress, then you have essentially implemented an address
translation, with some e2e effects visible to applications. If the
mobile node is aware which address the other end sees, then that address
can be chosen in address selection, and there is no e2e effects, just
two invisible address changes along the path.

Also, I wonder if it was necessary to define a new mechanism for home
address allocation, when we already have one in RFC 4877. Perhaps it
could be extended to request allocation from a "privacy prefix".

I wish Section 4 had talked about applicability of the two methods. Does
the second method provide support for home - foreign - home movements?
It would seem that the answer is no. It should provide support for
foreign-foreign movements, even though the spec is silent on this. Note
that if it did provide foreign-foreign movements, while the real home
address would be unknown, then by definition the correspondent node
would have to know that that the mobile node in location A is the same
node as the one that just moved to location B; the identity of the
mobile node (as a concept) would be revealed. Secondly, if the spec
provides no support for foreign-foreign or home-foreign-home movements,
there's a slightly simpler design :-) just bypass all mobile IP
processing and use a care-of address to communicate with the
correspondent node.

Some other observations:

> Kpm =  HMAC_SHA1 (Kbm, 0).

If you are going to derive keys from Kbm, it would be a good idea to use
a longer string than "0" -- there might be other keys derived in the
future from Kbm. E.g., use "PRIVACY".

>       encrypted home address = Enc(Kpm, the home address)
>
>       Where Enc(.) is a symmetric key encryption algorithm.  AES is the
>       default encryption algorithm.

Are there details missing? E.g., SHA1 produces 160 bits and AES takes
128 bits (or one of the versions takes 128 bits). Which version of AES
is used? What mode?

> 5.3.5.  Receiving ICMP Error Message
>
>  If such a message is received,
>    the mobile node MUST not attempt to use the location privacy solution
>    with the correspondent node.

I suspect a SHOULD would be more useful here.

> However, eavesdroppers on the HA-CN path can launch an attack to
> compromise the return routability procedure anyway.

This isn't entirely accurate. First some background. If you look at
Mobile IPv6 without extensions defined in this specification, attackers
on the HA-CN path will be able to block traffic, look at data packets,
etc. However, this would be the case even if there was no Mobile IPv6
and there was a non-mobile host in the home network, trying to connect
to the CN.

And then back to this specification. What this specification does is
re-use some aspects of the base specification for another purpose,
namely employ some of the key material for confidential information. The
key material isn't quite made for that, and therefore HA-CN path
attackers will be able to see even the home addresses.

But that too is kind of besides the point. I would rewrite the paragraph
as follows:

OLD
With the solution in Section 5, the real home address is visible in
  the Binding Update and Binding Acknowledgment messages along the
  HA-CN path.  However, eavesdroppers on the HA-CN path can launch an
  attack to compromise the return routability procedure anyway.
  Despite the limitations of the existing return routability mechanism,
  this solution meets all the requirements set forth for the location
  privacy solutions and provides a simple way to provide location
  privacy protection while allowing the use of the real home address
  with the correspondent node.
NEW:
With the solution in Section 5, the real home address is visible in
  the Binding Update and Binding Acknowledgment messages along the
  HA-CN path. Like Mobile IPv6 itself, it has not been designed to
  change the communications between the home network and the
  correspondent node; the same issues would affect non-mobile hosts
  as well. This solution meets all the requirements set forth
  for the location privacy solutions and provides a simple way to
provide location
  privacy protection while allowing the use of the real home address
  with the correspondent node.

>    When receiving a Home Test Init message, the home agent performs the
>    operation as specified in Section 6.6.4.  If this operation succeeds
>    when the Pseudo Home Address mobility option is present in the Home
>    Test Init message, the home agent generates a Home Test Init message
>    and forwards to the correspondent node.  As shown in the following,
>    the pseudo home address carried in the Pseudo Home Address mobility
>    option is used as the source IP address in the forwarded Home Test
>    Init message.
>
>      IPv6 header (source = pseudo home address, destination =
> correspondent)
>      Mobility Header (HoTI)
>          Home Init Cookie

This is an on-path modification of a packet not addressed to the party
doing the modification. This is considered bad practice. It might even
break things, such as any end-to-end security applied between the mobile
node and correspondent node. Not to mention TCP checksums. Perhaps
another approach would have been cleaner, such as an explicit message
sent to the home agent (say, Home Test Init Delegate message).

> 6.  IP Address Location Privacy Solution Using the Pseudo Home Address

There are standard mechanisms for registering a new home address (e.g.,
RFC 4877). The use of such mechanisms would have resulted in a much
cleaner approach architecturally; additional options could have been
specified for marking a home address request to be from a privacy
address pool. As both the mobile node, home agent, and correspondent
node would have been on the same page about the used address, there
would not be any of the NAT-like effects this specification creates. And
we wouldn't need additional mechanisms.

> 6.3.1.  Reverse Tunneling Mode
>
>    The format of payload packets reverse-tunneled via the home agent is
>    the same as that specified for the home address test procedure in
>    Section 6.2.1.

I am having trouble understanding this. First of all, the format in
6.2.1 was IP-tunneled packets with MH. Does the home agent do some
conversions of home address=>pseudo home-address on the fly for each
data packet?

> 6.3.2.  Route Optimization Mode
>
>    When the route optimized correspondent binding update procedure is
>    performed, the format of payload packets exchanged between the mobile
>    node and the correspondent node is the same as specified in RFC 3775.
>    The operation of the mobile node when communicating with the
>    correspondent node via the route optimization mode is described in
>    Section 6.5.6.
>
>    When the reverse tunneled correspondent binding update procedure is
>    performed, the format of payload packets exchanged between the mobile
>    node and the correspondent node is the same as specified in Section
>    5, except that the encrypted pseudo home address SHOULD be included
>    in the Encrypted Home Address destination option and the Type 2
>    routing header.

I was confused by this. First of all, we are under "6.3 Payload
packets", so why does it matter how the binding update procedure is
done? Either your payload packets are route optimized or reverse
tunneled, and 6.3.1 already dealt with the reverse tunneled mode.
Secondly, this is the first time you are introducing EHoA option usage
for your second solution. Is this a typo, and you meant the HoA?

> 6.4.  Prefix Discovery
>
>    The solution to protect location privacy during the prefix discovery
>    procedure is similar to that used during the home binding update
>    procedure.

What does prefix discovery have to do with your solution?

> The Binding Update List entry is extended with a field, called Pseudo
>    Home Address.  This field MAY be implemented as a pointer that points
>    to a corresponding entry in the Pseudo Home Address table.  ...
> For the
>    binding sent to a specific home agent, the Pseudo Home Address field
>    points to the first entry in the Pseudo Home Address table (or NULL
>    if the table is empty), so that the mobile node can access all the
>    pseudo home addresses registered at this home agent;

Is the field for (a) *one* address or (b) a *list* of addresses, or (c)
for an address *or* a value denoting no pseudo address is used?

I think you actually want (c).

> In addition, if the Return Routability procedure
>    is for a new session with the correspondent node, the mobile node
>    selects any pseudo home address from those already registered with
>    the home agent and stored in the Pseudo Home Address table;
>    otherwise, the mobile node must use the same pseudo home address as
>    used with the same correspondent node before.

I think you mean the correct thing here, but the description may not be
clearest for the reader. The route optimization mechanisms are actually
not relevant here; once you exchange the first payload packet with the
correspondent node via home agent or directly (when you are at home),
you are committed to that address. This should be explained more
clearly. Route optimization and all signaling simply must follow the
commitment the node has taken earlier. How you know that such a
commitment exists is another matter...

>       Encrypted Home Address (E)
>
>          The Encrypted Home Address (E) bit is set to indicate that the
>          encrypted home address is carried in the routing header.
>
> Note that if the Type 2 routing
>    header with the 'E' set is present in a packet, the encrypted home
>    address therein MUST not be treated as the real destination IP
>    address by the receiver.

I wonder what the tradeoffs are to do this as an extension of Type 2
routing header vs. a new routing header type?

The latter text seems to indicate mandatory behaviour that existing Type
2 implementations obviously cannot follow. I realize that you should not
get to this situation because you need signalling agreement before you
can use the extended Type 2 header. However, I'm concerned that if we
find a problem in the extension, this will affect negatively on what
firewalls etc. do on Type 2. As a result, perhaps it would be better to
use a new type? Or has this matter been analyzed in some manner during
discussions in MobOpts?

> advertently
> deterministicly
> procesing

Typos

Missing things:

I suspect the specification should say something about how it interacts
with other extensions of Mobile IPv6. At least RFC 4866,
draft-ietf-mext-multiplecoa and maybe others.

Jari