Re: [Mobopts] [IRSG] IRSG PollforI-D:draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions

"QIU Ying" <qiuying@i2r.a-star.edu.sg> Mon, 16 March 2009 10:37 UTC

From: QIU Ying <qiuying@i2r.a-star.edu.sg>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:37:49 +0800
Cc: irsg@ISI.EDU, Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com, mobopts@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Mobopts] [IRSG] IRSG PollforI-D:draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions

Hi, Stephen

Thanks for your review and support.

For the #1 comment regarding to active attacks: we discussed this issue
before, but it is too difficult to enumerate all of active attacks. In
fact, if an attacker launches an active attack signaling,  the mobile
node has 2 choices: 1) simply drop the signaling message according to
its own access policy, hence it is not much for further discussion. 2)
accept the signaling messages, then the MN must response the signaling.
Hence the attacker is treated as a correspondent node and the
correspondent node is still not able to map the real home address and
the in-use care-of-address according to our solution.

For the #2 comment regarding to using ECB in DES: since KM is derived
from Kbm: Kpm = HMAC_SHA1(Kbm, 0), and Kbm is always changed by every RR
process, a Kpm can not be re-used during the communication. By the way,
the example you describe here, I prefer to call it as passive attack
because it does not tempt messages from MN or HA directly.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards and Thanks
Qiu Ying