Re: [Mobopts] IRSG Poll forI-D:draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions

"Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov> Wed, 11 March 2009 15:22 UTC

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>
To: "Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com" <Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com>, "irsg@ISI.EDU" <irsg@ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:22:37 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mobopts@irtf.org" <mobopts@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Mobopts] IRSG Poll forI-D:draft-irtf-mobopts-location-privacy-solutions

You can record a vote for "ready to publish" from me.

The document is well laid out and the relationships between it
and the many pieces of existing work are well described within
the document.

One substance nit is that the requirements listed in section
3 lack any associated "rationale" statements.  Including some
rationale alongside each requirement is general practice in
formal requirements management.

Another nit is that the document generally phrases the
problem as being to hide the mapping between "the home
address and the care-of address".  I believe it should
really be between "the home address and an in-use
care-of address", in order to ease later understanding
of the applicability to monami6, dsmip, or other
extensions that the conclusions say may be in-scope in
the future for clarification.

The problem of location privacy is very complex, and the
document does a good job of tracking each concern and
clearly explaining what appears in each relevant header
and option field in the stack so that the impact can be
readily assessed.  I appreciated this.

There are some editorial nits, but I believe they're minor
enough that the RFC Editor will fix them.

Wes Eddy
Network & Systems Architect
Verizon FNS / NASA GRC
Office: (216) 433-6682