Re: MIB comments

Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu> Thu, 03 February 1994 18:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 1994 13:31:40 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Re: MIB comments

Does anybody have answers to the following questions?:

Excerpts from modemmgt: 29-Jan-94 MIB comments Steven Waldbusser@CMU.ED (11867)

> I believe at least Hayes, Microcom, and Rockwell have shipped products
> based on an interim version of V.Fast.  Do these implement the same
> specification or any common specifications?  (Do they all use the same
> chip?)  If so, is there a name for the spec that they use? (V.FC?)
> BTW, do they interoperate?

The answer to this question will enable us to decide whether to create
an enumeration for this or treat it as a vendor-specific item.

Excerpts from modemmgt: 29-Jan-94 MIB comments Steven Waldbusser@CMU.ED (11867)

> V.58 defines ringsBeforeAnswer as 0..15.  What do they mean by 0 and 1?
> Should we also use 0?  Which of the following is 0 rings? 1 ring?

>     ASAP
>     leading edge of first ring ( is this the same as ASAP?)
>     trailing edge of first ring

Excerpts from modemmgt: 29-Jan-94 MIB comments Steven Waldbusser@CMU.ED (11867)

> >  13. mdmStatsIncomingAbnormalTerminations - how is this different from
> >  failed connection requests.  All connections abnormally terminate by loss
> >  of DCD, or some other means.

> ConnectionConnectionFailures are calls that were answered but the
> modems failed to sync up.  It is important to note this separately
> from abnormalTerminations because it often indicates misconfiguration
> or incompatibilities.  AbnormalTerminations are calls that sync'd up,
> but were dropped in the middle.

> Your point about all connections terminating by loss of DCD is
> interesting.  Is there a simple way to differentiate abnormal
> terminations from normal terminations?  Or will
> successfulConnections == abnormalTerminations?

The answer to this is very important.

Excerpts from modemmgt: 29-Jan-94 MIB comments Steven Waldbusser@CMU.ED (11867)

> >Page 27:  do we need mdmStatsDTERingNoAnswers?  I vote we just count
> >mdmStatsRingNoAnswer.

> DTERingNoAnswers tells me that my users are being screwed because the
> terminal server is not ready or is misconfigured or the cable fell
> out.  This is a big operational problem because it will often stop
> a hunt group dead.

> Now let me make an observation.  If we were to delete this, we could
> word ringNoAnswers so that it explicitely included DTERingNoAnswers.
> Then when the operator noticed that ringNoAnswers was incrementing,
> she could use the RS232 MIB to check to see if DTR is the problem.
> This issue to keep it is an issue of simplicity and signal to noise
> ratio.  You want objects that flag serious problems to have high
> signal/noise ratios.  The question is how big a deal this condition
> is.  I'd like to hear from other operational people on this.

Any comments from users?

Thanks,
Steve