Re: Recognizing Consensus

Bob Stewart <rlstewart@xap.xyplex.com> Fri, 11 February 1994 20:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 14:51:58 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@xap.xyplex.com>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Re: Recognizing Consensus

>I do have one concern.   The world may change while you are away on
>vacation.  When you return, the group, because of your silence, assumed
>there were no objections.

But you still have your email record of the discussion you missed, and nothing
is ever completely done.

>In meetings, you are expected to be around
>*during the meeting* to have your voice heard.

This assumes that you can get to the meeting.

>This approach expects that
>you are attached to the net *ALL the time* if your voice is to be heard.

It does assume that you will eventually catch up on the email you find most
important.

>But again, I believe some level of consensus can be achieved if you
>recognize this deficiency and claim e-mail consensus but not absolute
>consensus.

There is no such thing as absolute consensus, but my personal opinion is that
email consensus, established as I suggested, with clear statements and calls
for disagreement, is more stable than meeting consensus, since more people can
attend email more regularly than can attend meetings.

	Bob