OID tree

Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu> Wed, 09 February 1994 16:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 11:49:26 -0500 (EST)
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: OID tree

I've renumbered the OID tree slightly in my draft to make things easier.
 This shouldn't be an issue, but if this is a problem for anyone, now's
the time to let me know. The following comments in the MIB explain the
change:

-- Upon publication as RFC, delete this comment and the next line and
-- change the reference of { mdmMibDraft 1 } to { mib-2 X }.
-- This will result in changing:
-- 1 3 6 1 3 49 mdmMib(1)    to:
-- 1 3 6 1 2  1 mdmMib(X)
-- This will make it easier to translate prototypes to
-- the standard namespace.
mdmMibDraft OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { experimental 49 }

mdmMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
    ::= { mdmMibDraft 1 }

Basicly, there is a problem for someone who has done a prototype when we
change the root of the MIB from .1.3.6.1.3.49 to .1.3.6.1.2.1.  To
update the code to the standard subtree is not a simple global replace
of one string for another, but entails changing the length of the
strings, offsets into OIDs, and so on.  This process is much more
difficult than it needs to be and leads to needless bugs.

The change above re-roots the MIB so that when it is changed, the change
is from .1.3.6.1.3.49.1 to .1.3.6.1.2.1.X, which is a trivial change.
This will help speed the prototype -> product transition.

Steve