Re: Proposal for two new objects

"Mark S. Lewis" <mlewis@telebit.com> Tue, 22 February 1994 19:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 11:11:15 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Mark S. Lewis" <mlewis@telebit.com>
To: aclark@hayes.com
Cc: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Re: Proposal for two new objects

> There are a large number of modems in the field and many more will ship
> before we have an agreed modem management standard (whatever it's based
> on).  In general terms you can expect modem vendors to be able to
> upgrade their management system software fairly easily, to upgrade their
> existing rack control software with more difficulty and to upgrade the
> modem functionality more slowly (and the installed base of product
> is probably not upgradeable).

> As a general guide I believe that we should ensure that any MIB objects
> should be capable of being supported via a proxy agent .. largely
> because this is the mechanism that most vendors will use to map
> the emerging management requirements onto the capabilities of their
> existing products.  Although many vendors are developing new rack systems
> that are SNMP capable and soft our industry has much more of an installed
> base problem in that there are many existing networks installed and the
> trend in the past was to provided ROM'd rather than downloadable
> firmware.

> This implies that we should ensure that the MIB does not require any
> functions that are not in .. widespread use as AT command addressable
> functions .. V.58 (as many vendors have used this as a basis for their
> enterprise MIBs).

> Alan Clark
> Hayes Microcomputer Products

Agreed.  I guess you are agreeing with me that it would be hard for
modem vendors to support the mdmCCInitialLine*Rate objects.

... Mark

==========--------------       Mark S. Lewis      ----------==========
Mark.S.Lewis@Telebit.com       Telebit Corp.      Voice (408) 745-3232

mdmCCInitialLineTransmitRate OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
            "The initial link transmit rate of the current connection,
            or the initial link transmit rate of the last connection
            in bits per second."
    ::= { mdmCallControlEntry 9 }

mdmCCInitialLineReceiveRate OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
            "The initial link receive rate of the current connection,
            or the initial link receive rate of the last connection
            in bits per second."
    ::= { mdmCallControlEntry 10 }