MIB comments (Part 1)

Les_Brown-LLB005@email.mot.com Fri, 28 January 1994 06:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 00:23:36 -0600
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Les_Brown-LLB005@email.mot.com
To: Receipt Notification Requested <modemmgt@telebit.com>
Subject: MIB comments (Part 1)

   The following are a few quick comments on Mark's comments. Please keep in
mind that I am not at home (I am stuck in Newark, my flight home was cancelled),
I don't have a hard copy of the MIB with me, and it is 1:30 in the morning and I
should be in bed.
   I will give more detailed comments when I get home.

1) On mdmLineCarrierLossTime, I would expect a value of '0' to be interpretted
by many modems as  'disconnect immediately', not 'never disconnect on loss of
carrier'.

2) Who uses V.25bis for async modems? Are we considering sync objects? Who uses
V.26bis and V.26ter?

3) V.32terbo is NOT a STANDARD and should not be included here, unless you want
to include other proprietary modems as well.

4) I believe we have 2 objects in V.58 for auto answer (an enable and a ring
count) because some manufacturers use '0' to disable auto answer whilst others
use '255'.

5) On call progress state, this is a very transient condition, that is, each
state is only active for a short period of time. Do we really want to have this
in this crippled MIB?

6) On mdmEscapeAction, if this relates to the '+++' escape to command mode, this
was intentionally left out of TIA-602 and V.58 since there is IPR involved and
the company that owns the patent did not agree to the nondiscriminatory etc
terms. This should be left out!

7) Connect failed is not the same as call cleared (what about busy, no answer
etc).

8) Current line rate is OK. The 'line' rate is understood to be the DCE rate.

9) V.34 allows asymmetric data rate operation, therefore we need BOTH transmit
and receive line rates.

--> Les