Rick Royston's MIB Comments

"Royston, Rick" <rroyston@usr.com> Tue, 25 January 1994 15:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 09:24:55 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Royston, Rick" <rroyston@usr.com>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Rick Royston's MIB Comments

  Here are my comments to the 1/4/94 MIB

  1.  Royston, not Roysten

  2.  mdmLineCarrierLossControl  - why not assign mdmLineCarrierLossTime a
      value of 0 and delete this object?

  3.  mdmLineCapabilities - what about V.25 bis, V.32 terbo ?  Also who is
  the keeper of the protocol list?

  4.  mdmDTEActionOnDTROffToOn - if an object is defined for a DialNumber,
      it can be treated as other objects with a RAM copy and NVRAM
  copy(ies). Then enableDial and establishConnection are the same.  I
  suggest that they be replaced by DialmdmPhoneNumber(2) where
  mdmPhoneNumber is the name of the preconfigured object

  5.  mdmDTEInactivityTimeOut - reference to start/stop switched, changed
  to async dial

  6.  mdmAutoAnswerEnable - this object duplicated the function of
      mdmRingsBeforeAnswer when its value is 0.  Delete ?

  7.  mdmCallProgressDetect - this object is a mess in current modems. I
  wonder if an enumeration of EverthingInTheModem(5) is reasonable?

  8.  mdmResultCodeEnable - replace enable(1) with  enableNumeric and
      enableVerbose.

  9.  mdmStoredDialString - should we define a max length.  I think we use
  30 or 40.  Comments?

  10. mdmCCConnectFailReason - add text to state that not all devices can
  or will return all of these possible values.  I have problems with this
  object, but have no good solutions as of now.  Maybe we should minimize
  this list?

  11. mdmCCErrorControlUsed - in description value '{0 0}' ?

  12. mdmStatsIncomingConnectionsRequest - rename to
      mdmStatsIncomingConnectionsAccepted and change desc.

  13. mdmStatsIncomingAbnormalTerminations - how is this different from
  failed connection requests.  All connections abnormally terminate by loss
  of DCD, or some other means.

  14. mdmStatsOutgoingConnectionRequests - rename to
      mdmStatsOutgoingConnectionsAccepted.

  15. mdmStatsRingNoAnswer - description ",but the call was not answered".
  If the ring detect is separate, the DSP may be ill.

  16. mdmStatsSentDataFrames |Recieved DataFrames - line and NOT DTE

  Please comment on my comments asap.  We need to get some concensus before
  Jan 31.

  Rick