Re: Rick Royston's MIB Comments

"Rozman, Chris" <crozman@usr.com> Tue, 25 January 1994 20:28 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 14:22:41 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Rozman, Chris" <crozman@usr.com>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com, "Royston, Rick" <rroyston@usr.com>
Subject: Re: Rick Royston's MIB Comments

     Here are my feelings with regard to Rick's comments below...

     2.  I agree.  We often use a value of zero to disable a feature.

     3.  Rick has a good point here.  If the official list isn't kept up to
     date, people will tend to implement enterprise OIDs for standard
     capabilities, which will mean that we'll end up with multiple return
     values for the same capability across vendors.  Not very consistent!

     4.  USR modems have four stored phone numbers that are stored in
     NVRAM.  When configured to autodial on DTR, the modem dials the first
     stored number.  I would think that what number is dialed could be
     implementation specific.

     5.  I agree.

     6.  I agree.

     7.  I'm not sure about this one.  Is there a big difference between
     implementation of ATX among vendors?

     8.  Yes.

     9.  40 characters in a dial string seems adequate.

     10.  I would prefer to see a basic subset implemented in this MIB and if
     there is a need for this level of detail, it could be put in an enterprise
     MIB.

     11.  {0 0} is an acceptable OID.  It is essentially a null value.  I don't
     see a problem with it.

     12.  I would make it mdmStatsIncomingConnections and make the description
     explain that it is completed incoming connections that are being counted.

     13.  I don't see a need to differentiate between incoming and outgoing
     abnormal connection terminations.  Why don't we combine these into a single
     mdmStatsAbnormalConnectTerminations object?

     14.  Again, I would just make it mdmStatsOutgoingConnections.

     15.  USR has redundant ring detect hardware such that if a modem doesn't
     answer an incoming call for which it had S0 configured appropriately and
     DTR was present, network management can report the event as a "Modem
     ring-no-answer" event.  This is considered an equipment failure.  I don't
     think users care if the phone rang less than S0 times as the current
     description implies.

     16.  I would assume that we are talking about frames on the link.

     Hopefully, this will help push us towards a concensus.

     Chris