Re: Proposal for important new object

"Mark S. Lewis" <mlewis@telebit.com> Tue, 22 February 1994 19:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 11:02:34 PST
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Mark S. Lewis" <mlewis@telebit.com>
To: aclark@hayes.com
Cc: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Re: Proposal for important new object

> The "busy out" condition was originally in V.58 however was replaced
> with the generic "Operational state" and "Administrative state"
> attributes.  These are non-product specific mechanisms for controlling
> a device to place it in-service and out-of-service.

> Alan Clark

Thanks for the comments.  I have forwarded them to the list.

`on-hook', `off-hook', and `connected' are operational states.  While
`unknown', `busied-out', and `reset' are probably administrative
states.  I like the finer granularity of the object as proposed.

Anyone have a problem with the restriction of management commands to
`on-hook', `busied-out', or `reset'?

Is it reasonable to put the modem `on-hook'?  Perhaps we just allow
management to `busied-out' and `reset'.  We rely on `reset' to put the
modem back in it's operational state.

... Mark

Mark.S.Lewis@Telebit.com       Telebit Corp.      Voice (408) 745-3232