V.58 Approved

aclark@hayes.com Mon, 20 June 1994 14:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 09:53:23 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: aclark@hayes.com
Subject: V.58 Approved
To: modemmgt@telebit.com

The ITU-T standard V.58 MIB passed its vote in Geneva on 9th June. There
will be work ongoing within TIA (and between interested parties) to
convert V.58 into SNMP format.  My viewpoint (which I believe is
representative of many within the modem community) is that the current
modemmib is far from adequate for modem management, and that a V.58
based MIB would be preferable.  It was also decided within the TIA and
ITU that the new extended AT command set standard should closely
follow V.58 .. this means that the behaviour of the modem from a control
perspective will be (almost) independent of the protocol being used to
convey control or management messages and that a simple mapping between
SNMP operations and AT commands would be feasible (thus allowing some
management of modems via the RS232 interface).

Alan Clark
Hayes Microcomputer Products
aclark@hayes.com