Re: MIB Comments 12

Jim Barnes <barnes@xylogics.com> Tue, 01 February 1994 12:50 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jim Barnes <barnes@xylogics.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 1994 07:37:21 -0500
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Re: MIB Comments 12

>> There are also other misplaced objects that should be in other groups.
>> Although we might end up with only one object in a group for the first
>> draft, this number will expand in future releases, so we should not
>> discard a group simply on the grounds that there is only one object in it.
>> According to V.58, 'mdmCCErrorControlUsed' should be the error control group,
>> and 'mdmCCCompressionTypeUsed' should be in the data compression group.
>
>1.  I don't have any objection to using the same grouping as V.58, if
>there is at least one object in the group.  However, I would hope we
>don't have too much reorganization at this time.  Making the changes
>you suggest doesn't seem like a real big deal.  Anybody else?

It's probably not a big deal.  However it does open up the issue of
having to defend a group with a single object to various reviewers who
might not have this background information.

>2.  My preference would be to name active objects with a "Used" suffix
>rather than a "Current" in the middle.  So we would have
>mdmCCLineRateUsed rather than mdmCCCurrentLineRate.

Consistency in our choice of names would be an advantage and, in this
case, avoid confusion with the use of 'current' in the name
"loopCurrentInterrupted".

  Jim Barnes (barnes@xylogics.com)