Still looking for answers

Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu> Wed, 09 February 1994 08:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 1994 01:21:01 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Still looking for answers

I got a few private responses to my previous query that helped to clear
up some of my questions.  Thanks a lot to those who responded.  We still
need answers to the following questions.  These have got to be basic for
any modem engineer, so there's no excuse for us not to have resolved
them by now.

Excerpts from modemmgt: 3-Feb-94 Re: MIB comments Steven
Waldbusser@CMU.ED (2780)

> > V.58 defines ringsBeforeAnswer as 0..15.  What do they mean by 0 and 1?
> > Should we also use 0?  Which of the following is 0 rings? 1 ring?

> >     ASAP
> >     leading edge of first ring ( is this the same as ASAP?)
> >     trailing edge of first ring

The specific questions are:  Is it possible for the modem to pick up
before the first ring signal?  Probably not, but if not, does pick up on
first ring mean asap after detection of ring signal, or after a complete
ring?  Or is this implementation specific, and all we can do is define a
range?

Excerpts from modemmgt: 29-Jan-94 MIB comments Steven Waldbusser@CMU.ED (11867)

> >  13. mdmStatsIncomingAbnormalTerminations - how is this different from
> >  failed connection requests.  All connections abnormally terminate by loss
> >  of DCD, or some other means.
> Your point about all connections terminating by loss of DCD is
> interesting.  Is there a simple way to differentiate abnormal
> terminations from normal terminations?  Or will
> successfulConnections == abnormalTerminations?

There have been several helpful notes regarding re-working the call
stats, but any work done on this is premature until we know the answer
to this question.  Can someone *please* fill me in?

Thanks,
Steve