Re: MIB comments

Lars Poulsen <lars@eskimo.cph.cmc.com> Fri, 28 January 1994 22:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 22:21:16 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Lars Poulsen <lars@eskimo.cph.cmc.com>
To: Les_Brown-LLB005@email.mot.com
Subject: Re: MIB comments
Cc: modemmgt@telebit.com

I have been in lurker mode through this effort, mostly because I'm
far removed from the people that build the modems I use, and at the
one working group meeting I attended, the room was full of people
with lots of SNMP experience who insisted that the people proposing
the same features in the MIB that I would like to see, were mistaken.

I think the proposal is a great step in the right direction, and if
we could generally expect to get modems with hooks to these items,
it would be significant progress. The recent adjustments seem to
be improvents, too.

Against this general approval of the proposed MIB on its own merits,
stands my feeling that it is functionally very close to V.58, and if I were
a modem builder, I would be more likely to provide a standard management
capability if there was only one standard to implement to.