Re: [Mops] Summing up... Re: [GGIE] [E] Updated proposed charter for a MOPS WG

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Tue, 17 September 2019 22:27 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 23:27:20 +0100
Cc: mops@ietf.org, ggie@ietf.org, Eric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
To: Leslie Daigle <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>
Subject: Re: [Mops] Summing up... Re: [GGIE] [E] Updated proposed charter for a MOPS WG

Hi Leslie,

I don’t disagree that there’s research here – but I also tend to think that what you need is an OPS working group. You’re trying to deploy stuff and figure out:

1) what works today → produce drafts giving operational guidance

2) what doesn’t work today, but we (think we) know how to build it → send requirements to an existing WG or other standards body, or spin-up an IETF BoF

3) what doesn’t work today, and we don’t know how to build it → input to IRTF

To me, that seems like a good focus for a media operations working group that acts as a focus for discussion, experience, and requirements gathering, and spins-off new work to IETF or IRTF as appropriate.

I also somewhat wonder if an IRTF group might end-up too far into the research side, and not operational enough to address the actual problems you’re seeing. Getting the balance of the community right is not easy…

Colin