[Mops] Updated charter. Re: Barry Leiba's Block on charter-ietf-mops-00-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

"Leslie Daigle" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com> Tue, 08 October 2019 21:31 UTC

From: Leslie Daigle <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>
To: Eric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: mops-chairs@ietf.org, mops@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 17:31:32 -0400
Subject: [Mops] Updated charter. Re: Barry Leiba's Block on charter-ietf-mops-00-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Okay, as I understand the IESG is having a meeting this week where this
will be discussed, I’ve incorporated the updates to the problem
paragraphs in the following text. And, there was an external comment
about how MOPS would work with existing IETF liaison relationships, so
I’ve added a paragraph to be clear we’re working with the ones that
exist, or engaging informally.

Media OPerationS WG Charter

Internet- and Internet-protocol-delivered media is widespread, leading
significant technology development across industries not traditionally
thought
of as Internet technology developers or operators, as well as
considerable
quantities of traffic on local and transit networks. The focus of MOPS
is on
identifying areas where existing protocols and/or networks are
challenged by
these updated requirements.

MOPS will solicit input on operational issues and practices; existing
and
proposed technologies related to the deployment, engineering, and
operation
of media streaming and manipulation protocols and procedures in the
global
Internet; and inter-domain and within-domain networking. In the context
of
this working group, media is considered to include the transport of
video,
audio, objects and any combination thereof, possibly non-sequentially.
The
scope is media and media protocols’ interactions with the network, but
not
the technologies of control protocols or media formats.

MOPS provides a venue for both video industry and Internet engineering
experts to engage in discussion of video technology’s requirements of
networking standards, as well as proposals for new uses of IP technology
in video. Where new protocols are needed, MOPS will identify appropriate
venues for their development.

The goals of MOPS include documenting existing protocol and operational
issues
with media on the Internet, and identifying requirements for potential
IETF work.

To those ends, MOPS will:

1/ Solicit regular updates from other media technology developing
consortia/standards bodies working with IETF-developed protocols.

2/ Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational
issues with media delivery in and across networks, and determine
solutions or
workarounds to those issues.

3/ Solicit discussion and documentation of the issues and opportunities
in
media acquisition and delivery, and of the resulting protocols and
technologies
developed outside the IETF.

4/ Document operational requirements for media acquisition and delivery.

5/ Develop operational information to aid in operation of media
technologies in
the global Internet.

These activities should document media operational experience, including
global
Internet, inter-domain and within-domain operations.

In all cases of working with other organizations mentioned above, MOPS
will
work with existing liaison managers where the IETF has them, and
informal
connections with other organizations otherwise.  If new formal liaison
relationships are required, MOPS will work with the IAB to help
establish them.

Media operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies
(such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing Protocols, DNS or
Sub-IP
Protocols) are the primary responsibility of the groups or areas
responsible
for those protocols or technologies. However, the MOPS Working Group may
provide input to those areas/groups, as needed, and cooperate with those
areas/groups in reviewing solutions to MOPS operational and deployment
problems.

There must be a continuing expression of interest for the Working Group
to work
on a particular work item. If there is no longer sufficient interest in
the
Working Group in a work item, the item may be removed from the list of
Working
Group items.

Leslie.