Re: [Mpls-interop] Local and Remote

"Malcolm Betts" <betts01@nortel.com> Thu, 07 May 2009 15:38 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 11:39:29 -0400
From: Malcolm Betts <betts01@nortel.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <nurit.sprecher@nsn.com>, mpls-interop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] Local and Remote

All, first apologies for my behaviour on the MEAD team call on Tuesday,
showing frustration is not an acceptable way of holding a technical
discussion.

Looking at the chain of email I see signs of convergence but no easy way
to simple text.  I saw a comment from Sasha on the network management
requirements draft:

"Section 5.5.2 deals with alarm suppression and defined a MUST
requirement to suppress "superfluous alarms". However, the notion of the
superfluous alarm" is not defined (neither directly in the draft nor by
reference to other sources). Taking into account that there are more
than 50 messages discussing AIS/FDI on this list, it seems that the
superfluosity of an alarm is in the eye of the beholder..."

That triggered a thought that perhaps we have better way to describe the
problem:

Since we have very different backgrounds first some basic definitions:

Fault:  An unintended event that impacts a network.  Examples: hardware
failure; software bug; configuration error.

Defect:  The observed perturbation of a signal. e.g. Loss of CC
messages:  Loss of light (following a cable cut fault).

Primary defect:  The first defect that is observed as the result of a
fault.

Consequential defect:  Any other defect that is caused by the same
fault.

As an example consider a node that has a 40G OTN interface carrying
4xODU2, one ODU2 carrying GFP mapped MPLS-TP LSPs,  some MPLS-TP LSPs
transit a switch/crossconnect function and leave the node; Others
terminate locally on a PW end point.

If the fiber carrying the 40G signal is cut adjacent to the node:

The primary defect would be Loss of optical signal.
Loss of OTU frame, loss of ODU, loss of CC messages on the terminated
LSP, loss of CC messages on the terminated PW are all be consequential
defects observed in this "local" node.

At some (remote) node the LSP's and the PW's that transited the node
adjacent to the fiber cut will be terminated.  Assuming no
recovery/repair action has taken place, then a loss of CC defect will be
observed for both the LSP and PW at this (remote) node.  These are
consequential defects.

So perhaps we could (in the OAM requirements document) include a
requirement that states:

It MUST be possible to differentiate between primary and consequential
defects.  The OAM toolkit MUST support mechanisms to support this
differentiation.

Comments:
1) This includes an implicit requirement that defect information is
passed from a server layer to a client layer within a node.
2) The (simple) example about is only to illustrate the concepts, many
other scenarios will need to be analyzed to determine if a proposed
solution adequately addresses the requirement.
3) If we take this approach do we need definitions for fault,
primary/consequential defect.

In the NM requirements we could state:

It MUST be possible to suppress alarms that result from consequential
defects.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm Betts
Nortel Networks