Re: [Mpls-interop] MPLS-TP OAM requirements - AIS/LockNotif - Can MIPs send "usolicited" OAM messages ?

Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 04 May 2009 13:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 15:43:06 +0200
From: Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: hhelvoort@chello.nl
Cc: mpls-interop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] MPLS-TP OAM requirements - AIS/LockNotif - Can MIPs send "usolicited" OAM messages ?

Huub,

I am merging the two threads as they talk about the same point.
Please see below.

regards,
-m

Huub van Helvoort a écrit :
> Hi Martin,
>
> You responded:
>
>> please see in-line.
>
> me too [hvh]
>
>> Huub van Helvoort a écrit :
>>> Bonsoir Martin,

>>> I modified the figure to align with what you wrote.
>>
>> [mvx] thx. In fact the double dashed line was already there
>>       but with quite some spacing between the top and bottom.
>
> [hvh] OK, tI had the impression that the upper line indicated
> the client path/trail, and the lower the server path/trail

>>> No, a MIP can only respond to messages it receives from a MEP
>>> that has the same MEG level, i.e. exists in the same path.
>>>
>>> In your figure the cMIP ignores messages sent by sMEP.
>>
>> but then, how does a Lock condition of the lower LSP
>> is notified to cMEP?
>
> This is a consequent action performed in the normal
> adaptation function between server and client layer.

and you also say (in the other thread):
[hvh] The definition used in ITU-T is:
MEG Intermediate Point (MIP) is an intermediate point in a MEG which
is capable of reacting to some OAM frames. A MIP does not initiate
OAM frames. A MIP takes no action on the transit packet flows.

and:
[hvh] the sink MEP of the server layer should inform the sink MEPs
of the client layer.

How can sMEP send any message to cMEP, they do not belong to the same
Maintenance Entity?
The only way I see for cMEP to be informed is that cMIP sends the
message and if so this contradicts the ITU definition because it does
this, as you say, as a consequent action performed in the normal
adaptation function between server and client layer (which I read
as something different from receiving an OAM message).