Re: [mpls-tp] [PWE3] [mpls] WG LC draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00.txt

Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com> Thu, 24 March 2011 06:57 UTC

From: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:59:06 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>, "lihan@chinamobile.com" <lihan@chinamobile.com>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, HUANG Feng F <Feng.f.Huang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>, Robert Rennison <Robert.Rennison@ecitele.com>
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] [PWE3] [mpls] WG LC draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00.txt

Greg,
Lots of thanks for a prompt response.

I see the problem a bit differently:

 1.  RFC 5654 explicitly states that data plane interoperability between IP/MPLS and MPLS-TP "MUST NOT require a gateway function". I.e., nothing in the data plane prevents the people from peering IP/MPLS and MPLS-TP domains.
 2.  Some forms of peering may be indeed problematic when it comes to OAM. But IMHO these problems do not exist in the case of MS-PWs  which perfectly fit the definition of a co-routed bi-directional LSP in MPLS-TP (even if they have been defined before the MPLS-TP work has began).
 3.  I think it is high time to state explicitly that when it comes to PWs, the IP/MPLS vs. MPLS-TP differentiation does not exist, be it in the data plane, OAM toolset, control plane or management plane. And, BTW, I believe that the original restriction of non-usage of GAL with PWs has been driven by implicit understanding of this fact.

My 2c,

     Sasha